• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Buy Unpolarized Glasses At All...?!

I have certain pairs that I use for driving and they are polarized most of the time. Then on weekends I rather pick a style, than a lens type. It doesnt matter if its polarised or not because Its main function on weekends is more fashionable than practical.

My friend refuses to pay the extra money for a polarised pair when he can save money for getting the exact same style and colorway in non polarized. He doesnt drive alot where as I drive all day.

Overkill in what way…? As in filtering out way too much light…? Right now during this hot and sunny summer I'm loving the polarized lenses but do you think it would make sense to get non-polarized glasses for, let's say, a September hike then…?!

It's relatively rare to need that level of light filtering in the UK. On bright days Positive Red and Ice do just fine for me, though I use G30 as much as anything.

I think they all have their place and depending on your activities you can find as much benefit out of the vast range of lenses which are not polarized. That being said, I get a polarized version in every frame style when possible either as the primary lens or definitely as a secondary.

Not sure why, but most polarized lenses give me headaches and strain my eyes. The only polarized lens I can use is black iridium. So, needless to say, most of my lenses are non-polarized.

For myself, a family man with the house, cars and all that jazz... polarized are F'ing expensive and it hurts even more when they're scratched or lost!

Plus i seen WAY better deal at Vault style stores on 'regular' frames than polarized ones...

For myself, a family man with the house, cars and all that jazz... polarized are F'ing expensive and it hurts even more when they're scratched or lost!

Plus i seen WAY better deal at Vault style stores on 'regular' frames than polarized ones...

Yeah, the price difference sure is an argument…! Over here most regular Oakley glasses sell for 80-140 Euros while polarized versions usually start at around 200 Euros…

- MILE

Yeah, the price difference sure is an argument…! Over here most regular Oakley glasses sell for 80-140 Euros while polarized versions usually start at around 200 Euros…

- MILE

Ouch, and in Euro's to boot ... I'm Canadian but i try and purchase my Oakley's in the states (Cheaper MSRP) ... i also try to find Vaults ... OR i try to buy in states that don't have any sale tax (or VAT for the Brit's) ... it makes quite a difference...

I may be in the minority, but I have yet to find a real need for polarized. Road and water glare (at least for myself) aren't as prevalent as comparison pictures make it out. Part of that is because it would appear those pics don't account for lens tint, but just a naked eye vs. polarized lens comparison.

I may be in the minority, but I have yet to find a real need for polarized. Road and water glare (at least for myself) aren't as prevalent as comparison pictures make it out. Part of that is because it would appear those pics don't account for lens tint, but just a naked eye vs. polarized lens comparison.
For me it's a real issue.

I NEED polarized lenses. If I'm at work and it's raining, but the sun comes out in the afternoon? 45+ minutes of glare to get home. I will need narcotic painkillers and a cold compress to get rid of the headache. When I was in college we had snow on the ground from October to May. When the sun hits the snow it's a killer. I wore black polarized glasses that didn't really fit, got a set of black iridium, and bought black polarized replacement lenses as soon as I could afford it. I still wear those lenses often.

Phone screens, LCD panel on my car radio, etc... damn them, I'm taking polarized lenses every time.

I prefer non polarized. The distortion between the two layers is hard to handle all day. I don't see well and its worse with polarized

Back