• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Change The Lenses??

rmontez

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Wisconsin
I can see if they have been discontinued and you can't find any OEM any longer but why changes the lenses to Walleva, VL or any other non Oakley brand lenses? To me the value and quality are in the lenses. I bought a pair of aftermarket lenses for my Romeo 2's and to be honest I'd rather wear scratched lenses over the VL or Walleva's. I have never tried Linegear so I can't speak for their quality but with VL and Walleva when I used them I got migraines.

Exactly! Stay with Oakley if possible.

Linegear is pretty good for models that no longer have replacement lenses available or never had colored iridium replacement lenses (I'm talking to you Mars and Romeo 2), but they cost as much as or more than Oakley lenses.

I can see if they have been discontinued and you can't find any OEM any longer but why changes the lenses to Walleva, VL or any other non Oakley brand lenses? To me the value and quality are in the lenses. I bought a pair of aftermarket lenses for my Romeo 2's and to be honest I'd rather wear scratched lenses over the VL or Walleva's. I have never tried Linegear so I can't speak for their quality but with VL and Walleva when I used them I got migraines.

I'm sorry but it's mostly all marketing hype, you can find some great lenses in $5 sunglasses.

I'm sorry but it's mostly all marketing hype, you can find some great lenses in $5 sunglasses.

Oh really?
I would advise you to watch the torture tests Oakley puts the lenses through. They have to meet ANSI standards... Cheap lenses just shatter!

Would you buy Foakleys and truly believe they are the same quality?

Oh really?
I would advise you to watch the torture tests Oakley puts the lenses through. They have to meet ANSI standards... Cheap lenses just shatter!

Would you buy Foakleys and truly believe they are the same quality?

Again, more marketing hype. It's still polycarbonate and it's just an inherent property to be shatter resistant. Cheap glass lenses shatter, I've had it happen. There are still plenty of cheap sunglasses out there that use polycarbonate. I love Oakleys and I know they're high quality, but if it was a real world without a sunglass monopoly or brand name markup, it would be more like a comparison between a $5 pair of sunglasses and a $25 pair and I would totally buy the $25 pair everytime.

that is what i have been thinking as well. if i got head aches from raybans (and rayban is a reputable eyewear brand), what more with aftermarket lenses? i agree that the oakley brand is seen in the lenses (optics) first, then the design and durability (for the x metal line anyway) second and third...especially since i have one eye near sighted and the other eye far sighted..freaky freaky i know...

[video=youtube;SDtazhqy0xs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtazhqy0xs[/video]

Barconic Polycarbonate Cups - Super Break-Resistant - YouTube :) this one sounds like Obama narrating.

Safety Glasses torture test! 350fps to 1200fps airgun pellets, 11 shots, 600 frames/sec - YouTube

Amazing Safety Glasses -TEST (High Speed Camera) - YouTube

Safety Glasses torture test! 350fps to 1200fps airgun pellets, 11 shots, 600 frames/sec - YouTube

I know it's disappointing to hear but it's really just safety glasses type of material. Still Oakleys are awesome. I actually always never liked my Oakley lenses, especially if they scratch if a fly walks on them I just really liked the frames.

Latest Posts

Back