• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why did Oakley come out with the Sliver when it already had the Sliver F?

steveocubed

Oakley Expert
Am I missing something here? It's like they took a new design and just made it worse as far as I can tell unless there's something I'm missing.

Am I missing something here? It's like they took a new design and just made it worse as far as I can tell unless there's something I'm missing.

Sliver F is foldable and for that its frame is more vulnerable than regular Sliver. Many people like sliver/sliver f design more than holbrook but don't like the foldable frame. And regular sliver is 40€ cheaper than sliver f....they are good reasons to release regular sliver.

It's not hard for Oakley to add in their production line, and I guess they figured the Sliver was making enough appeal like mentioned above.

Saying the lack of additional folds makes them "worse" is really subjective. Some people hate fiddling with the extra fold. Sounds like something so small but it can make a difference for some, especially if it's coming considerably cheaper as mentioned.

Having dealt with numerous folding frames (Aviators, Wayfarers, Clubmasters, etc) and the Sliver F, I found them all to be a hassle and pain to deal with. I for one am looking forward to this launch. The Sliver F to me served no real purpose, it didn't slim down the frame much, and too many customers walked away because it didn't fold in the middle and thought it was gimmicky. I understand why they didn't place a bridge folding hinge and I commend the design team for that, but I think installing the temple hinge took away from the overall design and the amazing materials process that makes up NanOmatter. Now you can choose which is best suited for you with the option of Sliver or Sliver F, and I hope a similar aluminum case follows along with the new Sliver.

Having dealt with numerous folding frames (Aviators, Wayfarers, Clubmasters, etc) and the Sliver F, I found them all to be a hassle and pain to deal with. I for one am looking forward to this launch. The Sliver F to me served no real purpose, it didn't slim down the frame much, and too many customers walked away because it didn't fold in the middle and thought it was gimmicky. I understand why they didn't place a bridge folding hinge and I commend the design team for that, but I think installing the temple hinge took away from the overall design and the amazing materials process that makes up NanOmatter. Now you can choose which is best suited for you with the option of Sliver or Sliver F, and I hope a similar aluminum case follows along with the new Sliver.

It will not have the case. The case was designed to go along with the Sliver F to highlight how it folds up. Lets you fold them and put them in a protective case that still fits in your pocket. The sliver will come in a standard box with a standard micro bag and will fit in most Oakley after market protective cases.

It will not have the case. The case was designed to go along with the Sliver F to highlight how it folds up. Lets you fold them and put them in a protective case that still fits in your pocket. The sliver will come in a standard box with a standard micro bag and will fit in most Oakley after market protective cases.
I'm a fan of the Sliver F and the case... If only it came with a sapphire lense I'd probably have one...

The silver is meh in my book...

As a fan and retailer here are my thoughts:
Sliver was already planned for release when they released the folding. the folding gets people talking about them, but they realistically didn't expect them to sell very well as the price was higher than anything else like it due to the case. Holbrook and Enduro Oakley has to give a cut to the wonderful White brothers, so Sliver is now a same price alternative to those 2 frames. They rivets on the front of Holbrook will cause them to trend out which we've already started to see. Sliver is also a more wearable frame for a slightly more mature customer than Holbrook.

Just my 2 cents, although I'm sure we'll sell Holbrook 5-1 to Sliver.

I would much rather have the Sliver than the F. The sliver is much more rigid, and just looks cleaner in my opinion.

Back