• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Did You Buy Your X Metals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first X's in 2001: they were the defining moment for me......other than having to get them replaced twice due to cracks in the lenses. You guessed it, Romeos. I thought when I saw them, they were beautiful, they had the obligatory full eye coverage, they were unique in colour and to top it all, made of a propritory Titanium compound.........Nirvana!

Got my Penny's as soon as they came out after the X-Men film. Why? They looked the absolute nuts! Totally unique, been stopped and asked about them loads of times. Not really a big 'coveter' of any 'material' things really, but Oakley's make me drool!

I got my pennys for the same reason, then got juliets to better fit my face.

Yep, Herb summed it up quite nicely!

In 1998, the first time I saw the Romeo 1 Titanium Gold Iridium....it just blew me away so I bought it (it was also the most expensive and craziest looking glasses at that time)....then lost it only after 1 year of owning them...

Then I didn't had the chance to find another one....The Romeo 2 and the Xmetal XX I did not fancy when they were released....

Then in 2007, I bought the Juliet Xmetal Ruby and had lived with it as my daily sunglasses.....

Until February of this year....it's when the fever caught me....and the wallet haven't been happy every since....hahaha....

X Men did it for me, like alot of you apparently! LOL. I prefer metal sunglasses and xmetals just look damn cool. Only time Ive found colored sunglasses that dont look rediculous. Its a strange alchemy, I think. Now Ive got like 6 pairs.

Found my first pair on the sidewalk. Didn't even realize they were Oakleys untill a few years later, But for somereason they seemed to outlive the other pairs of sunglasses I owned, Maby because they are made of titanium! :wink:

Found my first pair on the sidewalk. Didn't even realize they were Oakleys untill a few years later, But for somereason they seemed to outlive the other pairs of sunglasses I owned, Maby because they are made of titanium! :wink:

They are not made of pure titanium ;-)
It's a blend of several different metals, 25 types of metal to be precise, that blend is called X-Metal.

They are not made of pure titanium ;-)
It's a blend of several different metals, 25 types of metal to be precise, that blend is called X-Metal.

i think the idea that Xmetal is made from 25 metals is a fallacy. Oakley actually states that Xmetals are made up of 25 PIECES, and the blend of metals in xmetal is not more than 10. if i remember correctly it was rumored somewhere between 6 to 9 (read it somewhere a long time ago, rumored to maybe the C5 alloy plus Titanium, but who knows..)

you have to read their advertising carefully... it says "Flex couplers allow this 25-piece blend of Xmetal and art to fit..." not that Xmetal is a blend of 25 metals.

Remember, this metal composition was so secret, they even made the trucks shipping the raw Xmetal switch 3 times between the supplier and the Oakley xmetal plant, just so the first guy didnt know where it was going, and the last guy didnt know where it came from. its a proprietary alloy and the composition is a secret, so they wouldnt be releasing details, especially of its composition.

anyway, breakdown for the 25 frame pieces in a Juliet-
2-arms
2-orbitals
1-nosebridge
2-hingescrews
4-hinge washers
2-earsocks
2-orbital screws
2-orbital gaskets
2-rivets
2-flex couplers
2-tshocks
2-nosebombs

cheers :)

Indestructible, look like NOTHING else, pieces of art masqerading as eyewear, the fact you are wearing a product made up of so many pieces and that required so much work, you are wearing something 99% of people are not (I have seen TWO people in 13 years wearing an XMetal and i live in a meteo area with nearly 2 million people). And so many other intagibles. X metals are just special...period. I dont care what Oakley tries to create and market as "Elite"...the X Metals were, are and always will be the true elite of Oakley. The fact that the brand sells O Matter Fast Jackets now fir $200 plus when Juliets are $325 is a crime. And ive gone back and forth over the years as to what model truly is the greatest....and its always come back to the Juliet. Ive owned the Romeo...3 at one time...and sold those; i own a Scelzi R2 i only keep because its SO unique; i owned 4 X Squareds at one time...one is traded for a Juliet and it very well may be only my Polished Ice i keep, even my XS 24K may go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back