• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Do You Buy/collect Oakleys?

I collect Frogskins because the frame suits me (at least I think it does). It just started off as buying a few frames in different colours to change up my styles but it just snowballed from there. I guess I am addicted, I've bought some colours just from feeling I've had to have them and then, after owning them for maybe a day, that need has faded and I've them sold them on and looking for my next purchase. Like obiwan it's the whole hunt & capture excitement but once that's done I need something else. Also, there is a market for Frogskins and I'll be honest and say I can may a little bit of extra money buying and selling Frogskins.

Back in high school I saved my hard earned money from my minimum wage ($3.10/hr) Burger King job to buy my first ever Oakleys...Frogskins. At the time, I had no idea about frame quality, lens clarity, durability, etc....I only bought them because they were the trendy glasses to have at the time. Since then, I've tried other brands (Ray Ban, Maui Jim, Revo, Coach, Von Zipper, Zeal, Spy, Vandal, Calvin Klein, Nike, Arnette and more) and they just don't fit the bill. But what really convinced me to stay with Oakley was something my friend told me years ago...being an independent eyewear rep, he's experienced almost every major brand in the marketplace, and he told me that nothing compared to the quality and clarity of Oakley lenses. He said that the most important thing to look at when buying glasses are the lens qualities...clarity, level of distortion, quality, durability, etc.. It then that I decided to become an Oakley whore :cool:.

Btw, at the time my friend told me that, he was working for Marchon...the second largest eyewear distribution company next to Luxotica. He still buys and wears Oakleys to this day...even though he can get his own product lines for next to nothing. That's why I buy/collect Oakley's...I was steered in the right direction and ran with it :dance3:.

To tell you the truth I bought Oakley first because of the name. I knew they were good also but I manila bought it for the little O on the glasses. Then came their OCP department. I bought another pair. Still because of the name and their quality also now. Then came my M-frames. Amazing deal. Batwolfs I bought fourth because of new technology of changing the little Os. The transformers Gascan pair is what brought me into Oakley. But when I saw my first pair of frogskins the Jupiter camos I became an Oakley fan. I learned a lot about the company joined the forum kept on buying/collecting and now I don't so it for the name. I could careless what people think anymore now I do it for what they stand for a company that always tries to get to the next level.

For me, I just wanted some quality shades. I got my first pair and fell in love with how good of quality they feel. I didn't know there were so many when I first bought a pair and have since had a strong desire to get more of the cooler frames. I can't get enough of the lens clarity and the frame quality, even on matter frames.

everything you said sums it up.
Quality of these shades are awesome!
I like them cause even when you wear them for hours, it feels like the glasses are not even there. I use to have sunglasses that you buy for like 10 or 15 bucks at like walmart and it just awful. They would put pressure in my head and the clarity thru the lens is horrible.

Ricky Carmichael wore Oakley googles, so, of course, I had to wear Oakley goggles. And if you wear Oakley goggles, why not wear Oakley sunglasses. And 1 turned to 2 and to 3 and it went downhill from there.

Don't think I can give a definitive answer to the collecting side other than what others have said there are so many different styles & colour options within that style. I'm not obsessed with have the latest frame as I much prefer the older models at the moment. As regard the wearing of them the fitment of the frame & clarity through the lens is second to none. Oh & I can't play football (soccer) anymore due to injuries (& OLD AGE) so I fork out £hundreds for glasses & traniners now instead of boots......hehehe.

Why do dogs lick their junk?

BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!

Seriously though, I am a collector by nature and Oakleys are not the only thing I collect but they are clearly my worst/best O-bsession!!!

Back