• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why don't they make ruby on sports specific pairs?

steveocubed

Oakley Expert
I've wondered that as of late. I like the ruby/fire look on sports specific pairs but I prefer looking through ruby much more than fire. Does anyone know why they never release ruby lenses for sports specific pairs? All I ever see are fire and positive red.

I believe that's probably due to Ruby not being a contrast lens whereas Fire is (though it's not a very good one). The increased contrast is good thing to have for sports especially those dealing with alot of shadows and dark/light transitions etc.

I believe that's probably due to Ruby not being a contrast lens whereas Fire is (though it's not a very good one). The increased contrast is good thing to have for sports especially those dealing with alot of shadows and dark/light transitions etc.

yeah, I never understood the appeal of Fire for sport use.The polarized version especially kills off color perception.

Haven't tried Ruby, but if the simulator is accurate, I've tried a lens like it. The amount of blue tint makes my head hurt and in general I'm not quite sure how such a tint would be beneficial. Almost feels like it's going against visibility because it cancels a lot of things out, unless one were in a desert where blue hues are almost nonexistent. That being said, each to their own. I know my eyes for one ain't perfect.

yeah, I never understood the appeal of Fire for sport use.The polarized version especially kills off color perception.

Haven't tried Ruby, but if the simulator is accurate, I've tried a lens like it. The amount of blue tint makes my head hurt and in general I'm not quite sure how such a tint would be beneficial. Almost feels like it's going against visibility because it cancels a lot of things out, unless one were in a desert where blue hues are almost nonexistent. That being said, each to their own. I know my eyes for one ain't perfect.
I know it's probably all mental but looking through ruby mentally makes me feel cooler (temperature-wise haha) because the bluish hues make a bright sunny day seem more chill and relaxed but that's just me.

I agree haha ruby makes the world look awesome... What's even cooler is when you take them off.. The world goes red like it caught on fire... Ruby also might not be suitable for driving...

Back