• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why falling XMetal prices are bad.

saulsaul

I am Jim Jannard...
Tokyo
Hoping to get some good discussion going. I don't have a well thought through or strong opinion.

XMetal prices are in a slump.

They still compare favorably with retail, but are way down on 12 months ago across the board, apart from Romeo Plasma and Jordan and the super rare ones like Juliet 24K, Ichiro Carbon.

Obvious example - Ichiro Polished Carbon full mint went for $1,200 a year ago, now $850-950. Or, Mars Jordans. Once so rare, so sought after, but now near mint full sets at $700-800. Copper Penny (praise be!) met with a shrug and a sigh. Most rare pieces just don't sell whatever the price!

It's all just supply and demand! @kronin323 (explain it properly for me!)

I read a lot of comments along the lines of:

'great time to buy'
'yeah, buyers market'
'finally the prices are back to normal'
'there were too many EBay prices on OF and now it's returning to the way it was in the old days'

blah blah.

First, it's not like it was in the 'old days' ('15 and before) when there was a lot more integrity on the site. Detailed and accurate seller descriptions, mutually satisfactory trades, and lots of satisfied buyers. No, there is loads of scalping, switch and baiting, false describing, fake claiming, nowadays. That's a phenomenon from the last 12 months.

But back to pricing. In my view, it's slumping because there is a declining number of collectors. It's becoming increasingly incestuous with a hardcore pool or collectors trading with each other. Few new serious collectors. Many collectors seeing the values decrease, panicking (or just having kids or educating kids privately!) and selling off their extensive collections for what they paid or a loss.

Low prices are bad. They indicate a lack of demand, a lack of interest in the product. Since the product is XMetals - something many of us LOVE, it's clearly bad for us all. Why? Well, I don't want to lay it on too thick but without collectors to wax lyrical about the production values and aesthetic excellence of X, there is no XMetal future. It ends with this group.

Maybe that doesn't matter. Maybe it's enough to take your grandchildren to the museum in Cali or Texas and go on about it....

'Yeah yeah granddad whatever' [text, flickr, facebook, virtual reality escape shute away from old guy talking about how great the sunglasses are baked at a 1000 degrees in a Nevada furnace]

Before anyone says you only care because you are a seller, I traded far more than sold in the last year. I am still building my collection, whatever the market says or does.

By the way, i'm a bit drunk. Don't slam me, I'm a sensitive soul.

[Typo 'a bit drunk' = 'hammered']

Here's a JBR for good measure.

IMG_1960.JPG

Opinion of someone new to x-metals but a long time Oakley fan.

Clearly the 3 or 4 years after the x-metals line was discontinued there was a classic bubble going on with the values. Unfortunately, I also think because of Oakley's pivot away from the line (and from quality products in general) the collectability of the brand is going down and will not attract new enthusiasts and without and influx of new and younger people to buy the prices will go down because the hardcore collectors who have more disposable assets already have most of what they want. X-metals although only discontinued ~5 years ago are not in the minds of 20 somethings because they have no idea what they are and are far too expensive for them. (how many forum members are there that are below 35?) Without new buyers prices will stagnate or drop.

Paid $650.00 for a pair of boxed matching craters last month.did I pay too much....I don't think so, if that's what you really want you have to pay what people are asking.icould flip em on ebay for $750.00 in the future if I wanted because every other pair on there is $1000+

Hoping to get some good discussion going. I don't have a well thought through or strong opinion.

XMetal prices are in a slump.

They still compare favorably with retail, but are way down on 12 months ago across the board, apart from Romeo Plasma and Jordan and the super rare ones like Juliet 24K, Ichiro Carbon.

Obvious example - Ichiro Polished Carbon full mint went for $1,200 a year ago, now $850-950. Or, Mars Jordans. Once so rare, so sought after, but now near mint full sets at $700-800. Copper Penny (praise be!) met with a shrug and a sigh. Most rare pieces just don't sell whatever the price!

It's all just supply and demand! @kronin323 (explain it properly for me!)

I read a lot of comments along the lines of:

'great time to buy'
'yeah, buyers market'
'finally the prices are back to normal'
'there were too many EBay prices on OF and now it's returning to the way it was in the old days'

blah blah.

First, it's not like it was in the 'old days' ('15 and before) when there was a lot more integrity on the site. Detailed and accurate seller descriptions, mutually satisfactory trades, and lots of satisfied buyers. No, there is loads of scalping, switch and baiting, false describing, fake claiming, nowadays. That's a phenomenon from the last 12 months.

But back to pricing. In my view, it's slumping because there is a declining number of collectors. It's becoming increasingly incestuous with a hardcore pool or collectors trading with each other. Few new serious collectors. Many collectors seeing the values decrease, panicking (or just having kids or educating kids privately!) and selling off their extensive collections for what they paid or a loss.

Low prices are bad. They indicate a lack of demand, a lack of interest in the product. Since the product is XMetals - something many of us LOVE, it's clearly bad for us all. Why? Well, I don't want to lay it on too thick but without collectors to wax lyrical about the production values and aesthetic excellence of X, there is no XMetal future. It ends with this group.

Maybe that doesn't matter. Maybe it's enough to take your grandchildren to the museum in Cali or Texas and go on about it....

'Yeah yeah granddad whatever' [text, flickr, facebook, virtual reality escape shute away from old guy talking about how great the sunglasses are baked at a 1000 degrees in a Nevada furnace]

Before anyone says you only care because you are a seller, I traded far more than sold in the last year. I am still building my collection, whatever the market says or does.

By the way, i'm a bit drunk. Don't slam me, I'm a sensitive soul.

[Typo 'a bit drunk' = 'hammered']

Here's a JBR for good measure.

View attachment 293024
I concur.

And hammmmmmmered GOOD! :)

Anything more than MSRP is a scam in my eyes ... a scam we do to ourselves out of greed ... and then do to the next and so on and so on!

The brand is almost completely diluted and has almost died out ... so as you said ... most people won't really care if they lose their value

I guess I'm happy because maybe I'll be able to afford a second pair one day.

Maybe it'll push sellers to lower their prices ...

All in all, if people are really saddened or upset by this devaluation, maybe they invested too much money in these artificially inflated frames ... nothing bought or sold on this Forum should ever be seen as an 'investment'.

I agree pretty much with Blockster, it's a normalization of the market. After they were discontinued there was an increase in demand, a bubble. Now enough time has passed, the hysteria is dying down and things are dropping back to "normal".

And a vast majority of the market are wear pairs, i.e. not mint and/or complete, which is the area where most average valuation applies. The truly "collector" pieces, LNIB complete and matching, technically are still valuable, perhaps even more so as the number of examples reduces when newbies buy a set and start wearing them, but at the same time the number of "true collectors" is reducing, too, so it's harder to find a buyer who'll pay their true value. Yes, the market sets value, so one could say if nobody buys them for that price then they aren't worth that much, but in this case it's not that nobody will buy them for that price, it's just that it's harder to find the people who understand their proper value and is looking to buy.

As the Oakley we knew and loved becomes a more distant memory and the brand finishes turning into just another undifferentiated Lux trademark in their stable, it'll get even worse. I keep saying, collectibles aren't good investments.

Anything more than MSRP is a scam in my eyes ... a scam we do to ourselves out of greed ... and then do to the next and so on and so on!

The brand is almost completely diluted and has almost died out ... so as you said ... most people won't really care if they lose their value

I guess I'm happy because maybe I'll be able to afford a second pair one day.

Maybe it'll push sellers to lower their prices ...

All in all, if people are really saddened or upset by this devaluation, maybe they invested too much money in these artificially inflated frames ... nothing bought or sold on this Forum should ever be seen as an 'investment'.

I see we're on the same boat. We don't like paying over retail.

Back