• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why falling XMetal prices are bad.

Just as people retire, new ones take their places. It been the same cycles for years now. Repeat repeat repeat! Up down up down up up down down.
"Churn" would be expected in pretty much every other instance but this one IMHO. As Lux continues to debase the O brand fewer people are being exposed to the brand in a positive fashion. neXt Metals could have been a boon for the hobby- a natural way to introduce people to the X Metal line - and that was a bust. Why would consumers look for premium sunglasses from a T-shirt manufacturer? My .02

Newbie here, but I’d imagine it’s very similar to what happens with collectible cars. As people age and disposable income increases, they grab stuff that they used to want (high school anyone?) but couldn’t get at the time. Some stuff will fall off as these people age, but the true classics will continue to gain value long term as they are discovered by new generations, similar to the collectible watch market. A lot of it depends on generating awareness for new potential buyers. I think sites like Hodinkee have done a lot to bring in a new audience for watches and no doubt this forum does for Oakley’s.

Just a comment about pricing of X-metals (and anything else here or in life, for that matter) - Just because someone is asking for a certain price (on the exchange or elsewhere) doesn't mean that that is really what the item is worth. That's just the maximum it is worth.

And I'd go so far as to say that if it is a commonly desirable (and commonly available) item and hasn't been sold within a week of listing, it's probably worth <80% of the asking price.

Just a comment about pricing of X-metals (and anything else here or in life, for that matter) - Just because someone is asking for a certain price (on the exchange or elsewhere) doesn't mean that that is really what the item is worth. That's just the maximum it is worth.

And I'd go so far as to say that if it is a commonly desirable (and commonly available) item and hasn't been sold within a week of listing, it's probably worth <80% of the asking price.

Put that on the list mr caca...t :lol:

I should tag Fernando and @"TRUMP" on that too lol.

Back