• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Future New Lenses Are No Longer Hydrophobics?

junitor

Oakley Beginner
Why future new Lenses are no longer Hydrophobics?

Oakley service centre said those new sunglasses lenses will not be coated with the permanent hydrophobics coating but instead, we need to coat it with Oakley Nano-Clear lens cleaner ‘pen” with Hydrophobic designed for up to 10 applications.

I was asking about my split jacket lens and was surprised to find this out.

Whats the reason behind this? is it good or bad news?

J

Bad news that they are only making few models hydrophobic, good news in that hydrophobic lenses were usually $10 more than non hydrophobic so they might drop the price.

my nano clear solution just arrived minutes ago. i'm going to coat all my glasses in them. i hope it works well.

They're doing it to make more money. The Hydrophobic lenses had a bonded permanent coating....now you have to buy the bottle, go through the hassle of applying it, and it has to be constantly reapplied. Oh....and you have to BUY that so more $$$$ for Oakley...and no, they won't drop the price because they stop installing Hydrophobic lenses...actually I've heard whispers of price increases across the board at Oakley. More...again

they never charged more for the hydrophobic lenses. all it really is another way for oakley to make money like everyone else has said. if you have used it already you will notice that it leaves a haze on the lenses which u need the cleaning kit to get rid of. thats why i think they are doing it so try and boost those sales. heard that it was to help cut cost but then they later found out that wasnt even that big a deal.

humm..so i better get the old spli jacket then, since its still have that 'H" sticker on it. tks for all the advice guys!!!

oakleyguy7 said:
they never charged more for the hydrophobic lenses.
they did, examples
flak jacket lenses $65, half jacket $55
radar $85, m-frame $75
straight jacket $65, monster dog $55
(all iridium)

now i know that im comparing old models to newer ones, but if you look at the juliet when they became hydrophobic (oleo) there was a huge price jump $330 to $400 (polarized) and the lenses went from $55 to $65

oakleyguy7 said:
if you have used it already you will notice that it leaves a haze on the lenses which u need the cleaning kit to get rid of.

are you talking about the nanoclear hydrophobic formula?

also, how well does this new formula work at repelling water and oils? i just got some, but haven't put it to the test yet. if it doesn't perform well at repelling (mainly skin oils), then i will just stick to the regular cleaning kit.

@The Game- that jump has just happened, the old flaks used to be 55 but if you go now and look you see that you will be getting a hydrophobic pen with the lenses now. so thats why there is the difference.
@musicman- it works pretty good. like i said u need to have the cleaning kit (which im sure most people here have it) it helps. not really sure how often you need to put it on but it works i guess

Latest Posts

Back