• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is against forum rules to call someone out?

I just hate when threads get deleted and I lose on my like count ;-)

Another good point brought up. Here are some tips on why threads are deleted:

• Breaks forum rules/attempts to sell outside of the appropriate areas
  • An exchange thread has been renamed "Sold", and all content replaced with "Sold". This is extremely unnecessary, since you can leave the thread/content and just add "Update: Sold". If a thread is renamed "Sold", it helps no ones and will be deleted.
  • Duplicate threads in different areas when necessary

These are the biggest 3 areas, and I think a lot of members may be unaware of #2. If you have sold a product, there is no reason to delete the post and change the title. Simply post that it was sold and done. This not only allows the thread to exist, but also helps future members who may wonder what something is worth.

Another good point brought up. Here are some tips on why threads are deleted:

• Breaks forum rules/attempts to sell outside of the appropriate areas
  • An exchange thread has been renamed "Sold", and all content replaced with "Sold". This is extremely unnecessary, since you can leave the thread/content and just add "Update: Sold". If a thread is renamed "Sold", it helps no ones and will be deleted.
  • Duplicate threads in different areas when necessary

These are the biggest 3 areas, and I think a lot of members may be unaware of #2. If you have sold a product, there is no reason to delete the post and change the title. Simply post that it was sold and done. This not only allows the thread to exist, but also helps future members who may wonder what something is worth.

Hey Boss I know we already have a thread for suggestions but since its relevant to this thread I thought I'd post it here. What about making changes to the feedback system to allow for more than just a "good" "neutral" or "bad" transaction? What if the system was changed to something similar to how ebay feedback works where you are able to give a feedback score for several fields like accurate descriptions, shipping speed, item packed well, etc?

One flaw I've run in to more times than I can recall is looking at someone's feedback profile and seeing they have a couple good feedback out of the multiple deals that I've seen posted from them in the exchange section, meaning that people aren't leaving feedback for every deal that takes place. In some of these cases looking up their post history in the exchange areas will show several posts from members saying they got their items and everything was ok but often there is nothing but a "sold" post. What I'm thinking might be happening (because I've been guilty of this myself) is that someone makes a deal, the transaction goes through but not perfectly, and issues are resolved via PM instead of leaving bad feedback or posting about it in the general forum. What does the buyer do at that point? Personally I feel like a douche if I leave "neutral" feedback and like many others I'd rather not air dirty laundry in the comments of a feedback post if I got my item, so I'd likely just not leave feedback at all at that point and steer clear of that member in the future. Then a month later someone else does a much larger deal with that member and never gets their item or the seller takes 3 weeks to ship etc, leading to an angry post calling out the seller only for several other members to chime in that they've had problems with that seller in the past (yet the seller has 100% positive feedback).

The same can be said about buyers. I haven't sold much on here and actually sell on ebay for less money after fees quite often because of all the tire kicking that goes on here. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten PMs from people asking me to hold an item for two days, a week, a month, whatever until they have the funds. If I don't need the money right away sure I'll hold it. Then the date passes, no money. PM the buyer, no answer. Sell the item to someone else and all of a sudden the first guy is bitching that he has the money now and what happened. Stuff like that needs to be communicated in some way through feedback. Maybe the buyer came through with the money after a week as promised, maybe after a week he decided you should take $10 less than you agreed on. People need to be held accountable for that.

There are obviously infinitely more examples than these but the point is that with a little more expansive feedback system we could see the warning signs of a member not fulfilling their part of the deals before 10 people have gotten pissed off and not said anything only to call out another member and get themselves in trouble later.

Hey Boss I know we already have a thread for suggestions but since its relevant to this thread I thought I'd post it here. What about making changes to the feedback system to allow for more than just a "good" "neutral" or "bad" transaction? What if the system was changed to something similar to how ebay feedback works where you are able to give a feedback score for several fields like accurate descriptions, shipping speed, item packed well, etc?

One flaw I've run in to more times than I can recall is looking at someone's feedback profile and seeing they have a couple good feedback out of the multiple deals that I've seen posted from them in the exchange section, meaning that people aren't leaving feedback for every deal that takes place. In some of these cases looking up their post history in the exchange areas will show several posts from members saying they got their items and everything was ok but often there is nothing but a "sold" post. What I'm thinking might be happening (because I've been guilty of this myself) is that someone makes a deal, the transaction goes through but not perfectly, and issues are resolved via PM instead of leaving bad feedback or posting about it in the general forum. What does the buyer do at that point? Personally I feel like a douche if I leave "neutral" feedback and like many others I'd rather not air dirty laundry in the comments of a feedback post if I got my item, so I'd likely just not leave feedback at all at that point and steer clear of that member in the future. Then a month later someone else does a much larger deal with that member and never gets their item or the seller takes 3 weeks to ship etc, leading to an angry post calling out the seller only for several other members to chime in that they've had problems with that seller in the past (yet the seller has 100% positive feedback).

The same can be said about buyers. I haven't sold much on here and actually sell on ebay for less money after fees quite often because of all the tire kicking that goes on here. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten PMs from people asking me to hold an item for two days, a week, a month, whatever until they have the funds. If I don't need the money right away sure I'll hold it. Then the date passes, no money. PM the buyer, no answer. Sell the item to someone else and all of a sudden the first guy is bitching that he has the money now and what happened. Stuff like that needs to be communicated in some way through feedback. Maybe the buyer came through with the money after a week as promised, maybe after a week he decided you should take $10 less than you agreed on. People need to be held accountable for that.

There are obviously infinitely more examples than these but the point is that with a little more expansive feedback system we could see the warning signs of a member not fulfilling their part of the deals before 10 people have gotten pissed off and not said anything only to call out another member and get themselves in trouble later.

I think there are some good ideas for improving the feedback system here, though at some point you will have to communicate any gripes in comments.
Personally I feel like a douche if I leave "neutral" feedback and like many others I'd rather not air dirty laundry in the comments of a feedback post if I got my item, so I'd likely just not leave feedback at all at that point and steer clear of that member in the future.

There is nothing wrong with stating what happened with a deal. You can leave positive feedback and simply say that the member took a long time to send the item, or the buyer took 1 week to send the money with little communication. This is the great benefit of comments. Sure the other member will see it, but at the end of the day there is no way for them not to. Whether you are creating a thread, putting comments, or leaving numbers on a scale of 1-5, the member will see what you put. Just playing devil's advocate a little here.

Like I said, there is great feedback and here and we will definitely try to integrate it into future feedback systems.

I think there are some good ideas for improving the feedback system here, though at some point you will have to communicate any gripes in comments.

There is nothing wrong with stating what happened with a deal. You can leave positive feedback and simply say that the member took a long time to send the item, or the buyer took 1 week to send the money with little communication. This is the great benefit of comments. Sure the other member will see it, but at the end of the day there is no way for them not to. Whether you are creating a thread, putting comments, or leaving numbers on a scale of 1-5, the member will see what you put. Just playing devil's advocate a little here.

Like I said, there is great feedback and here and we will definitely try to integrate it into future feedback systems.

My main issue with the comments is that its not something that gives itself away at a glance. Look again at eBay. As soon as you check out a user you get a snapshot of their feedback for several of the categories I mentioned in the form of a star rating. Obviously based on what you see there you can choose to either read the comments or not. I think the same thing is happening here but with the vast majority of feedback either positive or not left at all, people probably aren't reading the comments because they assume everything is on the up and up.

Its been shown here many times that the good eggs outweigh the bad by a large margin and I think that breeds a false sense of security vs a place like Craigslist or eBay. While that on its own isn't a big problem I believe the simplicity of the feedback system can and does lead to members having the same problems repeatedly.

I know the main point of this site isn't buying and selling but as we've grown so has the activity in the exchange. If the policy is going to be for the staff to remain "hands off" (and it should IMO) I think giving members a better idea of who they are dealing with is a good idea.

Back