• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is it important to have serial matched box???

So, people buy complete matching set glasses and then end up selling them to suckers that have the perception that they're worth more...

Then, that person will do the same to the next and the next and the next, etcetera etcetera !!! <Willy Wonka>

Hahahahahaahah thats what we see where???? SAY IT!!!!!!!

For me the serial matching the box is something I would take for granted as essential as that box is the one that relates to the specific individual pair. This is not really the point though...beyond this I would have to have the serial match pair complete as released, with the whole box in MINT condition, and with any seal breaks on the label to be cut cleanly, and in the event there are 1st gen versions I would want those as a preference, with the original type of label. I aimed for these and managed to achieve it with near every X Metal, it took considerable effort as I feel the 67 production pairs I have are essentially as good as they could be. None of this will matter if you don't care about it, and 'just want the glasses'.

Last edited:
This is not reserved for O collectors, the best parralel I can think of is car collectors, numbers matching cars fetch higher value often times. Having the original window sticker adds a little something.

You can also say who cares about the packaging, but we have found it to add to the allure of collectible sunglasses, if you're going to value the packaging at all why not have it numbers matching?

Is it the be all end all? No, but everyone here has signed up to an Oakley forum. A forum for sunglasses and gear. That can be argued as outrageous to begin with...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

For a collection a serial matched box makes the pair complete. The serial number on the sunglasses makes them unique, being the only pair with that number and indicating authenticity. The box with the matching serial number makes it unique also, being the only box with that number to match that specific pair of sunglasses. If I bought pairs to display and never wear I would want a matched box. Just for the sake of being a complete set. If I pairs to wear then the box does not matter to me.

I 'sit on both sides of the fence' in that I have pairs I wear and pairs I collect. The pairs I collect ordinarily have matched boxes, but I do have collectors pair which I haven't been fortunate enough or didn't the appropriate funds to get with matched box. Either way it's YOUR choice as to whether it's something which would bother you: don't let anybody tell you differently, make your own mind up.

All of this really brings up a good point.
Out side of the recent Madman RAW release. All of the new generation Oaks are non serial and non numbered boxes.
Dry generic like toast wiith no butter and jam

I hope Oakley continues to release special editions that are serialized.
in the end I feel runs like the RAW , ELITE series C SIX and others will become the true collector pieces of the future.
Truth be known I should really shift my focus to these unique and limited run units.

@OakleyFrankFMJ sell me a Carbon C SIX Please ;)

Back