• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why No Love For Blacklights?

Yeah just a pair of VL lens just to see what they would look like... Lot cheap to do this before i got out and order a pair of Prescription lens

Be careful with prescriptions in Frogskins. I have prescription (sunglass) lesnses in my Rootbeer/Cyan fades, and the thickness of the lenses caused the frames to bend *much* more than the normal lenses, so much that wearing them gave me a headache. (I have a big-ish head, but normal Frogskins fit me great. One of the reasons I like them so much!) I had to have the optometrist heat up the frames and bend them out so that I could wear them, but he was worried that he might snap them because they're so light.

(FYI I have a very low prescription, it's not like I have coke-bottle lenses because I'm almost blind or something.)

I used to love the blacklight posters too. Also going to certain bars where everything was lit with blacklights were always interesting.

I like the blacklight collection but don't love it. It's just like someone else said I think.....bad timing.

Yeah especially when we see Aquatique looking a lot like the Summit, I guess it kind of marks the beginning of a not-so-great era haha.

Right, right. Speaking of the Aquatique's and Summit's, now those colorways are not at all interesting to me, so I see what you mean.

Yeah just a pair of VL lens just to see what they would look like... Lot cheap to do this before i got out and order a pair of Prescription lens

I see, test drive before you buy, good idea!

I used to love the blacklight posters too. Also going to certain bars where everything was lit with blacklights were always interesting.

I like the blacklight collection but don't love it. It's just like someone else said I think.....bad timing.

Was I describing it correctly? Those posters had a felt like material on them, right? I know I wasn't trippin on drugs at 8-9 yrs. old, lol.

I don't know if I "love" the series either, but they've definitely started to grow on me. We'll see...this is why I've stayed away from buying Frog's, haha!

For me, the Blacklights represents the start of Oakley passing off old as new through a simple, cheap, change on the previous line. They are matte Acid Frogskins, with stems changed and a bit of UV paint added as a gimmicks so they glow in the dark. Who the f*ck wears sunglasses in the dark? What on earth is the point of it?

To date, I have never seen anyone in public wearing Acids, Blacklights, Acid Tortoise, Summits, or Aquatique Frogskins. Not one. And I live in London, one of the most metropolitan cities on this planet. I also go to O-stores and bump in to fellow collectors and Oakley fans, and they don't wear them either. So when do you think Oakley might drop this stupid colour pallete and move on?

Right, right. Speaking of the Aquatique's and Summit's, now those colorways are not at all interesting to me, so I see what you mean.

I see, test drive before you buy, good idea!

Was I describing it correctly? Those posters had a felt like material on them, right? I know I wasn't trippin on drugs at 8-9 yrs. old, lol.

I don't know if I "love" the series either, but they've definitely started to grow on me. We'll see...this is why I've stayed away from buying Frog's, haha!

Yup. You're right about those posters. Anything black was a felt velvety material and anything in color glowed.

For me, the Blacklights represents the start of Oakley passing off old as new through a simple, cheap, change on the previous line. They are matte Acid Frogskins, with stems changed and a bit of UV paint added as a gimmicks so they glow in the dark. Who the f*ck wears sunglasses in the dark? What on earth is the point of it?

To date, I have never seen anyone in public wearing Acids, Blacklights, Acid Tortoise, Summits, or Aquatique Frogskins. Not one. And I live in London, one of the most metropolitan cities on this planet. I also go to O-stores and bump in to fellow collectors and Oakley fans, and they don't wear them either. So when do you think Oakley might drop this stupid colour pallete and move on?

To credit this working in an O-store, I don't think I've (personally) sold a single summit series. And as far as most other people in the store, the regular or custom frogskins are much more popular compared to these weird palettes.

I wear my Blacklight frames regularly, although I can totally understand why the whole series wasn't popular, or any other of the recent mass produced series are either. The 2008 releases are probably my favourite, I always wish I picked up the Matte Grey Pair.

My Blacklight frames, not the prettiest by any stretch of the imagination, although I have since switched out the Gold Irudium for Bronze as these became my every day pair.

Frogs_Blacklight-Gold.jpg

I absolutely love my Summit Frogs. I wear the Basin Red w/ Dark Bronze lenses at least thrice a week. It's a beautiful, understated fall pair. I plan to break out the Pike Golds this summer. I will more than likely pickup the other three at some point too.

As far as the Blacklights go, I had the two tone look of them. It's very juvenile and cheap looking to me, like something you'd buy in a Spencers, or gas station. However, when the colors are matched up and the pair is tonal, I do like most all of them.

However, when the colors are matched up and the pair is tonal, I do like most all of them.

That's exactly what I had in mind...to cop the entire series and swap each pair to make single colored frames. The only frame I wouldn't be able to make is an all green, I think...there aren't any green earstems. Just imagining the look of these in all the same colors, SWEET!

Back