• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why this strange effect with my new Oakley Prizm 24k Polarized?

Gaby

Oakley Beginner
Recently I purchased the Oakley exclusive sunglasses for the 50 years anniversary of Sunglass Hut (1971-2021).

The lenses are Prizm 24k Polarized, mirrored.
The frame is Gibston.

But when I look to a fount of light I see a doble effect. Look the pictures please.

I don´t think thery are fake because I have another pair of Gibston in black. But...

Are the lenses ok? It´s normal with Prizm 24k polarized mirrored?

Efecto doble.JPG
P1010032.JPG

3-Oakley prizm 24k polarized.jpg
3-Oakley prizm 24k polarized.jpg

Thanks guys!

This can happen with some lenses when looking at an artificial light source. You shouldn’t notice it when using them outside under normal circumstances.

That happens on my Prizm Field too (non-polarized), as well as Deep Water Prizm (polarized) and I was checking out sunglasses at Bass Pro Shop last week and it was happening with the Prizm Maritime as well as with some Maui Jims I was looking at. Funny I never noticed it with cheap sunglasses. Sometimes I even notice it when driving looking at the brake lights.

I even have it happen on my photochromatic Oakley's when they are clear - very frustrating, really the only two things I don't like about my Oakley's - that ghosting and the price. :)

That happens on my Prizm Field too (non-polarized), as well as Deep Water Prizm (polarized) and I was checking out sunglasses at Bass Pro Shop last week and it was happening with the Prizm Maritime as well as with some Maui Jims I was looking at. Funny I never noticed it with cheap sunglasses. Sometimes I even notice it when driving looking at the brake lights.

I even have it happen on my photochromatic Oakley's when they are clear - very frustrating, really the only two things I don't like about my Oakley's - that ghosting and the price. :)
Intriguing!

I checked some more sunglasses after buying these. The d-effect is bigger in Prizm 24 K polarized, then Prizm Ruby Polarized. But I couldn't appreciate you are telling in Prizm Deep Water Polarized or Prizm Sapphire Polarized.
Oakley Canteen model in chrome polarized also seems to make that d-effect.

It´s very little in my Wire Tap 2.0 Prizm Daily Polarized and Gibston Prizm Black Polarized.
And nothing on my Wire Tap 2.0 Prizm Black non-polarized.

Outdoors, Prizm 24k Polarized creates orange-yellow areas at both sides of the reflected surfaces by the sun's rays. For example: glass buildings, some glass windows, some metalic and mirror parts of cars, and a bit in the water. (In my experience, and the sunglasses I checked: Gibston and Leffingwell).

It´s a pity because I like the frames of Oakleys over the rest.

Despite his 11% transmission, I think they are useful for cloudy and dark days, but yellow mirrored lens wears rare on those days.

Even a candle makes it:

Imagen vela doble.jpg

I blew an eye out in an accident. It damaged my Optic Nerve so that even with my good eye, I can look at the Moon and see 8 Moons overlapping. Try looking at the Moon while wearing those lenses. You will probably see three or four of them. My favorite Oakley lenses are Deep H2O. I wish I could test them, but I have multiple vision even without lenses that do it artificially.
I love the daytime view and colors that the Deep H2O lenses produce. Even if they do a few weird things, I still love Oakley’s PRIZM effect. Are Your lenses Made in the USA, or in Italy?

I blew an eye out in an accident. It damaged my Optic Nerve so that even with my good eye, I can look at the Moon and see 8 Moons overlapping. Try looking at the Moon while wearing those lenses. You will probably see three or four of them. My favorite Oakley lenses are Deep H2O. I wish I could test them, but I have multiple vision even without lenses that do it artificially.
I love the daytime view and colors that the Deep H2O lenses produce. Even if they do a few weird things, I still love Oakley’s PRIZM effect. Are Your lenses Made in the USA, or in Italy?

In mines only put "USA ASSEMBLED"

On the other hand, in the Oakley Sutro model prizm 24k I couldn´t see the d-effect.

Back