• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why this strange effect with my new Oakley Prizm 24k Polarized?

That happens on my Prizm Field too (non-polarized), as well as Deep Water Prizm (polarized) and I was checking out sunglasses at Bass Pro Shop last week and it was happening with the Prizm Maritime as well as with some Maui Jims I was looking at. Funny I never noticed it with cheap sunglasses. Sometimes I even notice it when driving looking at the brake lights.

I even have it happen on my photochromatic Oakley's when they are clear - very frustrating, really the only two things I don't like about my Oakley's - that ghosting and the price. :)

You were right.

Checked today, mostly they do. In some lens colors more noticeable than others.
But In prizm non-polarized I didn't see it.

I still like them. Prizm Tungsten may be my next pair. Cloudy and sadly days look nicer 🤓

I want to make an outdoor image update.

It´s not super dramatic, but is strange.

Without the lens:

Reflejo luz Torre.jpg

With them:

orange bright.jpg

I want to know If Prizm 24k Polarized lenses perform like this or not, or only some, or..
If someone has one, write here, please.

Last edited:
I want to make an outdoor image update.

It´s not super dramatic, but is strange.

Without the lens:

View attachment 1019339

With them:

View attachment 1019340

I want to know If Prizm 24k Polarized lenses perform like this or not, or only some, or..
If someone has one, write here, please.
If you mean the amount of color pop, it's about the same but for the colors green and yellow instead of reds. If you would compare Prizm 24k to another i would say the most similar is tungsten but a little less aggressive color pop. Very nice for sunny days with that 11%VTL and relaxing feeling overall. At first i though I wouldn't like the golden color it has from the outside but after I put them on i fell in love. Got them in Portal X frame

Finally Oakley answered me.

The double effect is called "ghost effect", produced by the reflection of light in the inner surface of the lens and then in the outside. It can multiply twice, thrice, or even more times. Very mirrored lenses and dark conditions with hard lights are the worst conditions to produce that.

And I add that some Prizm colors + Polarization + highly mirrored lens can produce ghost effect more easily.

For that reason they are working to reduce the mirrored lenses and add a rear anti-reflective.

thats-all-folks-sticker-india.jpg

Back