• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is Oakley discontinuing wire frame sunglasses?

I remember when i first got my hands on a pair of Romeo's back in 2000. I remember the thought going through my head " WTF!!! These are totally sweet!!!" Wore them every day till i lost my first pair on my wedding chapel. Now, these designs are make mw say "WTF!! What retard came up with these?". Screw the pure, clean and timeless crap. Oakley should be about sunnies that got attitude and say "don't mess with me bro!" and "nobody like me around here". Stand out, not hide among the sheep. Create a product with style that nobody else has. Seriously, Holbrook looks like any other sunnies except they are cheap (Sorry if I offend any Holbrook fans, it's just an opinion but a valid one) and lack any style or imagination. No edginess at all. I can only hope Oakley breaks out of their coma and come back to life and lead the pack once again with innovative, eye popping styles.

I remember when i first got my hands on a pair of Romeo's back in 2000. I remember the thought going through my head " WTF!!! These are totally sweet!!!" Wore them every day till i lost my first pair on my wedding chapel. Now, these designs are make mw say "WTF!! What retard came up with these?". Screw the pure, clean and timeless crap. Oakley should be about sunnies that got attitude and say "don't mess with me bro!" and "nobody like me around here". Stand out, not hide among the sheep. Create a product with style that nobody else has. Seriously, Holbrook looks like any other sunnies except they are cheap (Sorry if I offend any Holbrook fans, it's just an opinion but a valid one) and lack any style or imagination. No edginess at all. I can only hope Oakley breaks out of their coma and come back to life and lead the pack once again with innovative, eye popping styles.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion! I am not a big Holbrook lover (I own one, want another), but I hear you. I fell for Oakley after the halcyon days and I appreciate some of the old school stuff.

I'd love for them to wake up, but the corporate overlords are killing the company.

I'm not hard to please, but come on... Looks like I get one new age model per year (this year was the Green Fade EVZERO Range, also year was the Jawbreaker)

I have all but given up on finding the older style stuff because it is incredibly expensive or I can't really wear them. The new age rehashes and duplication are just mostly sad (one good one and several boring ones)

Sent from Q's Note5

damn...............why is Oakley stopping the xmetal series I think that is stupid too hahahhahahaa

You can thank Luxotica for for the lack of badassness that made Oakley what it was. Emphasis on "was"...

Hi guys, sorry for reviving an old thread but this is a subject I keep thinking about. I got my first oakleys back in 2007 when I was still in college, didn't know much about the company but was always attracted to the 'Oakley' display in every eyewear store. I remember trying on the X-Squared a few times thinking it would be great to own a pair. Never really saw Romeos or any other members of the X-Metal family but even the non-X-Metal frames were sweet back then. The wires were pretty sweet too. Fast forward to 2013-2014 - I was buying at least 2 pairs in every quarter but was on the lookout for much older pairs from places like ebay and thank god i came across this forum - I think about 60% of my collection would be sourced from here but that's not my point, my point is I found myself increasingly inclined towards the older models and whenever Oakley released something new i would mostly cringe at the fact that they're just not cool anymore. Would you guys believe that I actually designed 4 pairs that were inspired by the x-metals and sent my designs to the Oakley Officials, but nothing became of that.

Anyway, I think Luxottica have thought or so maybe, that what this brand has always been about was the lenses and the types of technologies used to craft different types of lenses because I have surely seen them go big on lenses since the luxottica takeover but equally declined in their Oakley Uniqueness for their frames. Seen far more generic frames comparitive to the older days - Today it pains me to say this but much of the oakley's official collection looks like any other sunglasses than oakleys themselves. Gone are the days when other companies would try and emulate Oakley designs.

Back