• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Will Constant Display Lights Degrade Lenses?

lawman0210

Oakley Expert
Will having the display case lights constantly on degrade or discolor your lenses? Like window tint film turning purple after a few years of constant exposure to the sun?

I've heard it's the heat of the sun that causes the dyes in the cheaper tint film to break down. If you are worried about UV exposure, fluorescent lights produce very little. I read somewhere that under the big ballast fluorescent lights, 8 hours is around the equivalent of 1 minute of exposure to the sun. I wouldn't think that you would have to worry about your lenses or frames. :)

LED lights run even cooler. I seriously doubt the light could even minutely discolor the lenses.

Funny enough, polycarbonate degrades under exposure of UV.

We're talking years upon years to see anything noticeable, but if you're using polycarb for load-bearing applications UV fatigue is a real concern.

I think halogen lights will affect FMJ finishes on frames, but I dont think lenses will be show degradation.
Im no scientologist, though

Back