• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Will Madman/Badman have the staying power of X Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the biggest problem it seems is that no one really accepts the fact that they are their own thing. If they made the same exact ones you guys would say they ran out of ideas. They took styling of the XS and the Mars and created something new, using the materials that are relavent to Oakley today. All of the people that complain about them were the first ones to be at the stores on the release date.

Well the biggest problem it seems is that no one really accepts the fact that they are their own thing. If they made the same exact ones you guys would say they ran out of ideas. They took styling of the XS and the Mars and created something new, using the materials that are relavent to Oakley today. All of the people that complain about them were the first ones to be at the stores on the release date.
That's a mistake on Oakley's part, not the collector market. They tried to cash in by tying in to a past design material that has a cult following and in the process pissed off quite a few people who saw it for what it was.

Had they come out with old terminology that actually fit like O-luminum they could have avoided this whole mess. Instead they tried to correlate them with the retired Xmetal line and that just doesn't work. It also didn't help that the timing was right around the time that Juliet replacement parts like lenses and rubber weren't easily obtainable any more. I can't speak for everyone but I feel like quite a few people saw the new metals at a time they were trying to do "routine" maintenance on their Xmetals and couldn't get parts, and fell into the mindset of "you want me to replace this with that?!??!" because they were marketed as "the next chapter".

I've handled them several times and considered buying them several times. What I always come back to (as a wearer more than a collector) is why? They don't serve a particular purpose compared to my current frames, and their long term durability is questionable at best. Even with a larger head size I find them to fit too loose for my liking with the spring hinges and plastic bridge. I can appreciate the styling and the materials used, but not at a price point reminiscent of a much more durable and user friendly design I already own.

You know what would've won me over with these frames though? Something that would have made it a no brainer purchase even with my noted concerns?

The return of the lifetime warranty, even if it was only for the "new metals". If they were willing to put their money where their mouth is and back a product for more than one design cycle, I'd be all in. I'd have multiple frames in multiple colorways, because I'd know that whether the design flaws failed next week, next month, or next year, I'd be covered. That isn't the case, so I'll continue to look without buying.

@digi7alph0enix :Well it's not Oakley's fault for releasing a "next chapter". That's like saying that the new F-150 is not an F-150 because they built it in a different material. If you haven't noticed Oakley holds its heritage very dear to the them, go to certain stores you find all sorts of cool artifacts they aren't trying to hurt the line. The fact is they are x metal. The warranty I certainly agree with you but at one point or another we have all had to deal with Oakley and 90% of the time they will try to get the part you need

@digi7alph0enix :Well it's not Oakley's fault for releasing a "next chapter". That's like saying that the new F-150 is not an F-150 because they built it in a different material. If you haven't noticed Oakley holds its heritage very dear to the them, go to certain stores you find all sorts of cool artifacts they aren't trying to hurt the line. The fact is they are x metal. The warranty I certainly agree with you but at one point or another we have all had to deal with Oakley and 90% of the time they will try to get the part you need
I don't agree, and that's fine. To me they aren't xmetal and any ties to the metals of the past is little more than marketing. Oakley made aluminum frames during the xmetal era, yet they weren't called xmetals. Why would today's aluminum frames be different?

It is their fault when they say it's an X-metal and it's clearly not. They made a Ford Ranger and called it a F-250. All the hype no delivery

It is their fault when they say it's an X-metal and it's clearly not. They made a Ford Ranger and called it a F-250. All the hype no delivery
From my point of view that's a much better example. How would you feel buying an F250 turbo diesel, paying full F250 pricing, then discovering when you pop the hood it has the standard F150 powertrain? You'd be livid and you'd feel ripped off I'd imagine. That more or less describes how I think a lot of people view them.

Badddddd example. They are the manufacture, they make the product, they name it, and that's what it is. You don't have to like it but that's what it is.
From now on OakleyForum will be known as CostaForum. Were still all about Oakleys and talking about Costa will be frowned upon. We're also going to host the server on a dial up connection. Premium membership will still cost the same.

Interested in going premium?

Badddddd example. They are the manufacture, they make the product, they name it, and that's what it is. You don't have to like it but that's what it is.
Ur right, I don't like it so I don't buy it. Sounds like u work for Oakley trying to make a case for them. But in this forum court, Oakley lost this battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back