• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Willing To Educate A Newbe On Earstems?

Mr. K

Oakley Expert
Seattle, WA
I hope I get the terms straight.

On the Juliets, the earstems (arms) have two types. The ones that flair out and the ones that are straight.

I thought the ones that flair out were only avail in polished Juliet frames, but saw a post where I thought they were avail in other metals too.

So some questions are;

What models (metals) did these flaired out earstems come in?
What years were they produced, or are they still being made? Could not find them on the website.
Were they ever made without the SN?

I have two pair and both are polished with Ice lenses and SN on the arm.

okay heres the low down. those "flares' are called hammerstems. on the juliet, only the polished has hammers. my X-metal framed julieX has hammers transplanted from an Xmetal XX. -hence your confusion?

THe romeo1, Xmetal XX both have hammerstems. the mars does not. The penny, Romeo2, Xsquared have arms that can be arguably called hammerstems.. halfX arms are straight.

but the interest is in the original arms (Romeo1, XX, Mars, Juliet) as all these arms are interchangeable.

i believe all Romeos were serialised, but on the nosebridge, so the arms are unserialised. the XX has serialised arms.. and later ones were NOT serialised. same for the Juliet- only early ones were serialled.

The only metals in production are Xsquared and Juliet, with the HalfX and ROmeo2 being recently discontinued. the ROmeo1, Mars, XX and Penny have not been made in quite awhile.. you'll need to search around for those alot more.

I think the only Juliets with Hammerstems are the Polished, Polished Carbon(Ichiros), and the 24k! I believe the 24k are the only ones still being produced at this time and I think they are almost gone, as well as the rest of the X Metals it sounds like!

What you are referring to is the Hammerstem.

They are on the Romeo 1, X Metal XX, and on certain models of the Juliet.

On the Juliet, they are found on the polished, Limited 24k, and on the Ichiro Polished Carbon/Slate frame. I could be missing one, but i think that's it for public releases.

I can also confirm they are made without the SN as i own two pair of the Polished/Fire Iridium Polarized and one has a SN and one doesn't.

Thy are still available to buy, on the Polished frame and the Limited 24K frame. I also heard that they stopped making the hammerstem on the polished, and switched to a straight stem for any future batches.

What you are referring to is the Hammerstem.

They are on the Romeo 1, X Metal XX, and on certain models of the Juliet.

On the Juliet, they are found on the polished, Limited 24k, and on the Ichiro Polished Carbon/Slate frame. I could be missing one, but i think that's it for public releases.

I can also confirm they are made without the SN as i own two pair of the Polished/Fire Iridium Polarized and one has a SN and one doesn't.

Thy are still available to buy, on the Polished frame and the Limited 24K frame. I also heard that they stopped making the hammerstem on the polished, and switched to a straight stem for any future batches.

regarding switching to a straight stem polished juliet.. i have yet to see a single one..?

I haven't either, but i think when we were on this topic before, we all agreed that Oakley wouldn't change it's website just for fun. I think it was more of a future batches will get straight stems. But now that they might discontinue the current X Metals, maybe these will never come to fruition? OR..... maybe the new X Metals will have a Juliet made with the new process and have a straight stem? Of course this is all hypothetical.

Wow, thanks for all that great info.

On the Oakley website if they do not show any Juliets with hammerstems except the 24K ones, does that mean they are still in production but just not on the site?

And BriP- yup yours were the ones that confused me. :smile:

The Oakley website does have polished straight stems in polarized for Juliets listed. If they discontinue the line, do you think these will become more rare?

Wow, thanks for all that great info.

On the Oakley website if they do not show any Juliets with hammerstems except the 24K ones, does that mean they are still in production but just not on the site?

And BriP- yup yours were the ones that confused me. :smile:

yeah i hear you SpliceD. cheers. Mr.K, you can find polished Juliets still in your local O store, or here on the forum.if youre chasing anything, dont hesitate to post it here in the exchange section.. never know who is getting rid of one!

and on my JulieX.. haha bringing the best of both worlds- sexy hammerstems, and that wonderful Xmetal finish.

The Oakley website does have polished straight stems in polarized for Juliets listed. If they discontinue the line, do you think these will become more rare?

maybe.. if they ever get round to making them. doubt it though... they'll probably jsut stick to the old moulds and cast the polished hammers till the factory closes in march..

Latest Posts

Back