• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Would you send a serial PENNY in good condition out to get refinished?

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
Been looking for a while to get a nice XM finish Penny...was going to get new red lenses for it and have the X-Man tune them. But all I have been seeing is polished and titanium frames.

Sooo...I picked up this pair of Pennys that cost me $270. Just tuned by the X-Man and it has a serial number. The finish is in really nice condition...I just hate sending frames that are in good condition out to be refinished.

So do I send the X-Man these perfectly tuned frames and just have him refinish them in X-Metal....or do I just add them to my collection, keep them as is, and continue to look for an XM Penny...or an even cheaper non serial Penny? THOUGHTS??

Thanks!

Does the serial start with "PC"? Or "XM"? The serial or at least the prefix would help to answer your question.
What is the "donor"?

Does the serial start with "PC"? Or "XM"? The serial or at least the prefix would help to answer your question.
What is the "donor"?

Not sure what the serial is yet and I have yet to get donor lenses. It has black iridiums on them, but will be getting new lenses for ALL my Pennies as soon as I find the right person to help me.

I have also seen some deals on some Oakley polarized ruby red GLASSES that are NIB sell for under $100...I could buy those and us those lenses as a donor. BUT....I need to know what lenses to look for...

X-man offers the option whether or not to keep the serial. If you choose to keep it, it's in a small rectangle with original finish backing.

But really, once you refinish it, the serial's meaningless.

I would suggest patience, wait to find a beater pair on the cheap. If you don't find one then you can still get this pair refinished later.

Many newbies make the mistake of getting too much too quickly. Take your time and you stretch out the enjoyment of the hunt, and usually end up with a better deal.

I have also seen some deals on some Oakley polarized ruby red GLASSES that are NIB sell for under $100...I could buy those and us those lenses as a donor. BUT....I need to know what lenses to look for...
Anything with base curve 8.75, pretty much all of which will be bigger than Penny lenses. There's a thread in the custom forum about which lenses can be cut for which frame.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider refinishing a frame unless I had more than one of that SKU. I'd keep that one stock and carry on the search for an original x-metal. But that's me, it's up to you what you do :)

Latest Posts

Back