• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

WTB threads - should there be prices? Discussion...

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
My purpose here isn't to make a suggestion on changing the forum or the rules, but merely to have a general discussion on what everybody thinks about this.

(But I thought this section was the best place for it; mods please feel free to move it if you think it should be somewhere else...)

The exchange rules state that you must post a price in WTS threads. There is no rule, though, that you must state a price in a WTB thread, nor should there be. And people typically don't.

But what do you think about the practice? Is not posting a price really the best strategy or could posting a price actually be better?

It seems like the reason not to post what you're willing to pay is in the hopes that someone will make an offer lower than your budget and you end up with a good deal. Does that really happen, though?

I think that if somebody states what they're willing to pay, that would solicit more and/or faster responses. And that's part of the point of posting a WTB, to do a transaction quickly instead of waiting until one happens to get listed, right? If nothing else, it could help avoid receiving a bunch of offers way over your budget; those sellers most likely wouldn't bother.

Again, not trying to suggest things should change, just looking to debate the pros and cons of the different strategies...

I say not needed, the seller should set the price and let negotiations go from there. The buyer doesn't know what is on the market so can't really put a fair price on what they'll buy. A WTB'er should post trade bait though.

Yeah, not needed and negotiations can certainly be done via PM once an offer is made, as is normally done. But it could speed up the process.

I know I once did a WTB and got crickets, it was bumped and still crickets, later bumped it again with what I'd pay for it, and got a couple of responses very quickly. And ultimately didn't pay what I'd offered, thanks to the generosity of my o-brother...

I've felt that because often WTB winds up being a low-baller which you don't find out until you reply.
"WTB: X metal Ducati Juliet"
"I've got one mint"
"I'll take it for $350"
"Declined"

I've felt that because often WTB winds up being a low-baller which you don't find out until you reply.
"WTB: X metal Ducati Juliet"
"I've got one mint"
"I'll take it for $350"
"Declined"

Exactly - if it'd been "WTB: X metal Ducati Juliet for $350" you woulda never wasted your time...

And the WTB'er would quickly figure out that his price is too low when the only responses he gets are "Yeah, I'll take one for that price, too!!!"

Exactly - if it'd been "WTB: X metal Ducati Juliet for $350" you woulda never wasted your time...

And the WTB'er would quickly figure out that his price is too low when the only responses he gets are "Yeah, I'll take one for that price, too!!!"
Yes and no. I've seen some with a "low" price the buyer is willing to spend and they bump it daily for two weeks. Similar to how someone will post a pair for $1000 over market value and repeatedly bump, or perhaps drop the price by $5.

When I've posted WTB ads I'll usually qualify what I'm after. Perfect condition means I'll pay top dollar, if I'm looking for a beater or budget pair don't expect to sell me mint-in-box for every penny one would hope to get for them.

It can work both ways though, not here but elsewhere i've posted WTB threads specifying a condition and a price I would be willing to pay for the item in that condition and got replies like................"I've got one you can have for $xxxx, it's pretty beat up or needs ......replaced" and plenty of others trying to make a quick buck with something that isn't worth the price you said you are willing to pay so can get your time wasted either way.

Latest Posts

Back