• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metal diagram or info graphic?

Krank

Oakley Expert
Albany NY
I'm researching, and may be creating a X Metal info graphic. I have already searched this site and many others and not really found much. If anyone has a X metal diagram or info graphic, and if they have any examples they can share, this could include process such as ideation, sketches, mockups, or prototypes done for any of the X Metal models.
Thanks
Jon

I'm researching, and may be creating a X Metal info graphic. I have already searched this site and many others and not really found much. If anyone has a X metal diagram or info graphic, and if they have any examples they can share, this could include process such as ideation, sketches, mockups, or prototypes done for any of the X Metal models.
Thanks
Jon
I needed some advise here. I am planning to get some patchwork made from the X metal symbol. The patch cud b stitched on to a cap, jacket, etc. Question is that is this in violation of copyright coz I am trying to create something that is not authentic

I needed some advise here. I am planning to get some patchwork made from the X metal symbol. The patch cud b stitched on to a cap, jacket, etc. Question is that is this in violation of copyright coz I am trying to create something that is not authentic

Depends on if you try to sell it.

I have considered this as well, but @kronin323 is correct, there is no fear of copyright infringement if your using the symbols for purely personal uses. As soon as you start selling you will get a letter from Oakley lawyers. (At least that's my guess) but I have wanted to have some custom banners done with oakley logos and pictures and I still intend to, but it would be for strictly personal use.

I'm a little confused. Isn't somebody on the forum selling a metal warning/caution sign that was copied from an Oakley original? Is that copyright? I don't see where the line is drawn...
Good business practice is to stay away from reproducing work that does not belong to you with the intent to sell or market under.

I'm a little confused. Isn't somebody on the forum selling a metal warning/caution sign that was copied from an Oakley original? Is that copyright? I don't see where the line is drawn...

Assuming Oakley did copyright it, then yes, they could go after him if they wanted, probably starting with a "cease and desist"... But since it wasn't an actual product and just a store display, maybe they didn't. IDK.

Though that's a little different than using a trademarked logo in an original piece. A full copy would be a counterfeit.

Which brings up the counterfeit Bobs that are floating around. Did Oakley copyright that store display piece? IDK. And those aren't described as a replica or reproduction; it can be near impossible to tell the real from the fake Bobs. Not like that matters; if they're unauthorized they're still counterfeit, technically.

And what about the forum's policy against counterfeits? Does that only apply to SKU'd products, not display materials?

Back