• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Discoloration..which Is The Worst?

toxic

Oakley Beginner
hey guys..as the title show i've been searching through the forum to find out which type of frame on what model tend to have more blemishes or discolorations than others..the ones that i know of is the juliet plasma 1st gen being the easiest..i wonder does it happen to the R1 plasma and x metal xx as well?and i've encountered some spots of discolorations on a carbon XS..i took good care of it but it still happened..so i really would like to know which colorway is most fragile..if there is already a thread discussing this then i'm sorry for posting it again..many thanks in advance guys..cheers..

The Romeo and first gen xx palsma frames are all prone to discoloration. Later gen 2-3 plasma and titanium will discolor as well in a similar manner, but this is far less common. Gen 4-5 plasma (those with a champagne or gold tint) will discolor in a completely different way which typically looks like tarnish. I've never experienced this firsthand, but supposedly it can be removed if done correctly. However after gen 1 any discoloration is not typical, whereas with gen 1 the majority will have at least some spotting.

Discolored carbon is typically a manufacturing defect that can worsen overtime. I had a pair that was never worn, and developed some discolored areas just from sitting in the display case. From what I can tell there are at least three generations of carbon, the older ones being darker and more prone to discoloration, the younger ones being more of a graphite like color which I have not had problems with. Carbon can also become stained from oil/grease. Regular soap typically will do remove oil stains, but a Mild degreaser will usually do the job.

The Romeo and first gen xx palsma frames are all prone to discoloration. Later gen 2-3 plasma and titanium will discolor as well in a similar manner, but this is far less common. Gen 4-5 plasma (those with a champagne or gold tint) will discolor in a completely different way which typically looks like tarnish. I've never experienced this firsthand, but supposedly it can be removed if done correctly. However after gen 1 any discoloration is not typical, whereas with gen 1 the majority will have at least some spotting.

Discolored carbon is typically a manufacturing defect that can worsen overtime. I had a pair that was never worn, and developed some discolored areas just from sitting in the display case. From what I can tell there are at least three generations of carbon, the older ones being darker and more prone to discoloration, the younger ones being more of a graphite like color which I have not had problems with. Carbon can also become stained from oil/grease. Regular soap typically will do remove oil stains, but a Mild degreaser will usually do the job.

thanks a bunch dcl10 for the info! this is something new to me and surely will be very useful..so from what u said, i'm guessing the XS line is the most 'stable'?

Well the only reason the XS would be the most durable in general is because they are much younger and by the time they were released Oakley had sorted out most of the problems. Every model used the same process for a given finish, what is important is the generation. Like BriP mentioned X-metal and polished are both durable, and that's regardless of generation.

xmetal colorway is the most durable, right up next to polished. the models dont matter, its the surface
durable! that's the word i've been searching for..LOL

Well the only reason the XS would be the most durable in general is because they are much younger and by the time they were released Oakley had sorted out most of the problems. Every model used the same process for a given finish, what is important is the generation. Like BriP mentioned X-metal and polished are both durable, and that's regardless of generation.
okay..thanks a bunch for the good info my good men! :smile:

imo plasma wise (the most prone to discoloration out of all colorways), anything after gen2 has been pretty good. just the usual care tips- no oils, wash well (mild soap), wrinse well, and dry well. works wonders with everything.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I had a gen 1 TiO2 XX that has some discolor/dark spots, is there any safe method to remove them? Had quite a bit of OCD so this is bugging me alot.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I had a gen 1 TiO2 XX that has some discolor/dark spots, is there any safe method to remove them? Had quite a bit of OCD so this is bugging me alot.
I'd say try washing with soap and warm water. If the discoloration doesn't come off you have 2 options, 1) live with it and make it a beater pair, 2) send it to someone for refinish/restoration. Unfortunately discoloration happens sometimes. Sucks man...

Latest Posts

Back