• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Earstems- How To Perform Swaps

Hi guys, its me again, this time with a guaranteed-Sticky thread! Today I will tell you my way of getting X-metal arms on/off with little to no fuss!

I will add pictures later on =)

Firstly Lets do the big one - The earstems of the Romeo1, Mars, XX, Juliet - All these arms are interchangeable.

1 -use wood glue to hold the 4 plastic washers- 2 on top, 2 below, onto the earstem

2. GENTLY try to prise apart the orbital side of the hinge, and slot the earstem, washers and all, into the right place. no doubt the washers may slip as you wont be able to prise the hinge open THAT much, but no worries

3. using a needle or pin, poke through the screw hole and gently adjust the washers to the right place. look into it first to make sure you dont poke a washer clean through.. you wanna basically thread the holes of the washers and line them up with the screw hole

4 drop the screw in, and gently tighten

5 dont overtighten the screws. you only need just enough to give slight resistance in the arm movement. the wood glue will wear away and fall out eventually.

There you go, all done! Enjoy your new X-Metal Customs!

How about a video tutorial? Something like that is guaranteed to be idiot proof.

For what its worth this is how I do it. I have done about a dozen pair, Juliets, XX and Romeos. No glue, just tweezers, a good desk lamp, a black mouse pad, and the #6T.

1. I install the temple shocks, keeps the washer from falling out the backside.
2. I cradle the orbitals and ear stem in the open position with my left hand. The orbital is in my palm, the ear stem with fore finger and thumb.
3. I try to use new washers but that is getting hard to do. Tried picking up some a HQ, they have been out for months.
4. Usually I can start with 2 washers sandwiched and slide them into the bottom gap. There is less room there due to the stop so I get that side done first.
5. I push them in a little farther with my finger, then line them up with a toothpick. I rotate the ear stem several times to center.
6. Same as #2.
7. Slide in one washer in the top gap. Then #5 but not all the way.
8. I slide the last washer on top of the previous washer making sure it doesn't push the other washer out. If its a little tight I bias the ear stem with fingers to open the gap on the orbital.
9. Repeat #5, remove toothpick, drop in and tighten screw to where it clutches nicely.

Usually take 5-10 mins per pair. I just used my last washer on a clean and check. Unless HQ gets more I will have to use Linegear. They are easier to install with only 4 washers per pair but prefer Oakley.

hey guys, i know its bout the earstem swap.
But err i have a quick question. Is there any EASIER way to insert a new EAR SOCK~? Everytime i need to replace a new one. I take like 1/2hr forcing it in, wth blisters all over my finger.

hey guys, i know its bout the earstem swap.
But err i have a quick question. Is there any EASIER way to insert a new EAR SOCK~? Everytime i need to replace a new one. I take like 1/2hr forcing it in, wth blisters all over my finger.
i use handsoap, slips on really easily. then just rinse it under the tap while moving the earsock around abit to wash it out. using saliva is disgusting.

- Use a toothpick(inserted horizontally) to open up the gap(temple shock location) a little bit.
- Place two washers on top of the bottom screw hole
2643j89.jpg

- Slide the earstem with the washers(you should have two) on top of the screw hole.
x4m9mb.jpg

NOTE: If the temple shock gap is tall enough, you don't have to use any adhesive like what the picture shows. Using toothpicks would not only not damage the metal(soft wood) but it also provides enough width/height to have adequate space to slide the earstem with ease with very little friction between the metals.
259wfx1.jpg

- Once the ear stem and the washers are in place, insert another toothpick vertically where the T6 screws are to align everything (holes and washers/gasket).

w9y0wj.jpg

331ino2.jpg

16jii5g.jpg

- Carefully and slowly take the vertical toothpick then push the earstem slowly at the same time to not lose alignment.
- Once everything is in place, start screwing:D Haha, I said "screwin,".............I'm gonna go now:oops:

NOTE: If the temple shock gap is open enough, you don't have to use any adhesive like what the picture shows. Using toothpicks would not only not damage the metal(soft wood) but it also provides enough width/height to have adequate space to slide the earstem with ease with very little friction between the metals.
Hope this helps

Last edited: