• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal etched lenses

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
A while back there was a shady dude in the UK making lenses. The Romeo lenses were etched X Metal until he got feedback from the forum that it was a bad idea.

I just found out there’s a company in Canada that sells the same thing. Flipside in Canada sells aftermarket Romeo lenses that are etched X Metal. This could make it quite confusing for some people. For example the way I found out about these was someone asking for a value on a couple of frames, one of which has these lenses. So do we need to ask now on all Romeos if the lenses are Oakley or not even if they’re etched? Once a frame sells two or three time the latest owner may not even know what he has.

What’s your opinion of aftermarket lenses etched to look like the original? I for one am not a fan. In fact when I custom etch lenses for people I make it quite clear that I won’t replicate an Oakley lens.

I don’t believe they should be mass producing these to sell on the market! But I do believe if a collector is trying to restore or modify a pair of glasses that has bad lenses that were etched oem that shouldn’t Be an issue. But I do see where things could get confusing if they were to sell them down the road. I’ll will use Troy lee designs as an example. If I had another pair of phobias I wanted to wear daily I would like to be able to have the “TLD” etching put on a new set of lenses for them.

So what about the black lenses they sell that are etched X Metal?

Yup, that’s an issue. But, not sure there’s much that can be done, unfortunately. Hopefully, no one will get the font exact or something else that will make it easy to identify.

I think it’s ok to etch logos onto lenses that never had them. IH logo on a mars or penny lens.

As a collector I would not want to buy an x metal etched R1 lens. For the same reason I don’t wear fake watches or shoes. If I put a custom cut lens in there, I know I’m trying to do something different and it’s ok. If I put a lens someone etched x metal onto, I’m trying to act like it’s the original. And I know it’s not.

Back