• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal history and days to come *a bit gloomy but inevitable*

These metals will lasts even if you wear them everyday. X-man is here, so no worries!

yes, X-metal is the solution.

as Linegear commit to help all Oakley x-metal bro, we basically just don't sell, we help you to get what you need, see the rating on eBay we try to preserver with, it is passion to help, not just making pocket money.

But the question is, some frame will be broken, some will be discarded,.... so how to not let x-metal stagnate?

X metals will stay popular until a viable replacement is made or people forget about their past popularity. Currently Oakley is on the wrong track with materials in my opinion. Their designs are incredible, but to have a viable X metal replacement you have to develop an all metal frame with the durability and uniqueness that Oakley put into the X metals. They missed on the Mad Man and Bad Man materials, but are charging more than X metal prices for them.... they will be sold cheap in Vaults within 12-18 months. I do not believe that with the current economics, and Oakley management there will ever be something like the X metals again. So to answer your question, Oakley X metals will stay in style until they are not. Who knows what their value will be, but I believe this is the highest we will see them. If you look through history, mass produced items of style increase in value for the first few years after they are discontinued. Once people stop "remembering" the x metal line, collectors will be the only ones caring about buying or selling them. Right now, you still have the popular interest because they were still in stores up until around a year ago.... All that being said, right now and prob for the next year or two your business will be at it's peak (for the x metal line). Fortunately for you Oakley doesn't produce the products you sell anymore, and will not sell spares. I would caution you about reaching out to Oakley. They take "aftermarket" replica of their designs pretty seriously.

So, and I'm fairly certain this would be a small niche in a niche market, but what about glow in the dark rubber (can you tell I was a 90's kid?) Glow in the dark or not, linegear rubber is awesome!

I hope when this topic is being raised, the interest to x-metal increase, and it will make our brothers who currently use them, can customize with help of Linegear's lenses & rubbers, or find other supplier close to you enough, then decide whether to sell for a bit more profit, or to keep wearing them and feel awesome

really think x-metal is the Ferrari of sunglasses :dance2::cool-33::lolsign:

Anyone know the history behind why they didn't use temple shocks in the Penny, but brought them back with subsequent models? Cheaper to produce and maintain, but people didn't like it as much? Spring hing was crap? Other?

Last edited:
Screws for the x squared coupler too(i do not know what you call it).

How about some romeo 2 and half x rubbers in the future? Any luck?;)
I do make the nose screws for x squared but don't advertise it much and regular flex couplers will fit you just have to trim a sliver off them to get them to sit fully into the nose.

Back