• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Lens & Rubber OEM Support

Warranty wise, what I got from Oakley HQ, was if they do not have the parts, Which is most cases they don't, they will keep the Xmetal and offer you 30% off any current like items. If you choose not to do anything, they will charge you to ship your Xmetal back to you with nothing done about the issue. I think we all know what to do, SEND BACK please.

Its too bad we couldn't just buy Oakley/Lux off and out of their X metal patents and start making a new line. Sub contract the lenses from them.

We could just do our own lenses, with better quality. Don't need their patent for them. They wouldn't give that up anyway. Plutonite lenses=Polycarbonate, just like everyone else with quality lenses. They use Base In Prism, and a mixture of both in mass color, and non- in mass color. It appears that the Polarized and some later, LUX, era lenses use non-in mass color. Makes no real diff. 12 or 15 Microns of Iridium=Mirror coating and how thick it is. Pretty simple for the most part. THe issue with lenses are the manufacturing process and the equipment quality used to do them. That is part of the reason why aftermarket lenses are so horrible. They are not Base In Prism, which you must have, and alot of times thier coatings distort under magnification what you view. Your eyes correct this, but strain them unknowingly to you. Headaches can occur due to this. Long time wear could poss damage your eyes. ANSI z rating, is just the impact rating for polycarbonate and glass lenses. 4ft with a certain weight is the impact standard. If it passes then it is rated. Just some info, hope this helps you guys out.

We could just do our own lenses, with better quality. Don't need their patent for them. They wouldn't give that up anyway.

Or look at the inverse: design our own "Y Metals" ("Y-Ti" ??) to be small batch produced periodically.

Here's the trick: Design the frame to fit existing, readily available, current production Oakley lenses & unobtainium.

Kickstarter and i.materialize come to mind.
http://i.materialise.com/materials/titanium

It ain't an X-Metal, so let's get over that right away.

/dream

That has been beat to death. Without the O name, it likely won't sell, and definitely won't have the following that Xmetals do. No diff than designing your own glass, and lens and selling. You have to have the support. YOur trying to fit what you want into the collecting and wearing of Xmetals. Doesnt work.

I have been to HQ, they are not sure either. They have been out of ear stem washers for a few months. All those X Metals sold on F&F have a 1 year warranty with limited parts to repair. Due to the cost the only fair exchange would be for a Pit Boss.

Does this mean I cant get ear stem washers replaced if I send in a pair for a "tuneup". The $65 plus shipping isn't gonna work if I cant get the work done I need.
Is there anybody else replacing these?

Does this mean I cant get ear stem washers replaced if I send in a pair for a "tuneup". The $65 plus shipping isn't gonna work if I cant get the work done I need.
Is there anybody else replacing these?
That is true, washers will not get replaced. I recently rebuilt a Romeo and had to use Linegear washers.

That is true, washers will not get replaced. I recently rebuilt a Romeo and had to use Linegear washers.

Is there a link to to these washers?? I saw some threads about custom work. Anybody do this type??

I hav been a daily wearer of for many years. My favorite pair got loose and I overtightened them. Took them apart and then said hell with it. I threw the gaskets away thinking repair wasn't a problem. :-(

Is there a link to to these washers?? I saw some threads about custom work. Anybody do this type??

I hav been a daily wearer of for many years. My favorite pair got loose and I overtightened them. Took them apart and then said hell with it. I threw the gaskets away thinking repair wasn't a problem. :-(

Go here for the washers. http://linegear.ocnk.net/product/284 Instead of 8 Oakley washers you will only need 4 for each pair, they are thicker. Use the X Man if you need the bridge redone.
You can order earsocks from Oakley here. http://www.oakley.com/products/4282/14007