• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Lens & Rubber OEM Support

Ok I'll check that out. X-man is the one I saw doing the custom work. I may just have him build me a pair of Ti02

How is the quality of the rubbers??

OHhhh.. the X-metals I've lost and given away. :-( Guess I never thought about production stopping. :-(

No diff than designing your own glass, and lens and selling. You have to have the support. YOur trying to fit what you want into the collecting and wearing of Xmetals. Doesnt work.

Difference is new frames as described aren't under the patent jackboot. New vessels for HDO & XYZ technology... Which isn't available elsewhere. But your point that such frames probably wouldn't sell is understood. No agenda with my collecting... Though I suppose I don't like plastic framed sunglasses. Well, and obviously I'd like more X metals as inexpensively as possible... So long as Oakley doesn't abandon them! ;-)

Difference is new frames as described aren't under the patent jackboot. New vessels for HDO & XYZ technology... Which isn't available elsewhere. "

I agree with the rest of the post after where I cut it off, but..... HDO Optics=Polarized, (Iridium=Mirrored Coatings- which are of a certain size prism particle so the view is not distorted through a Stellar Projector), XYZ=Base in Prism. THey are used by many lens manufacturers including Costa Del Mar and Ray Ban which are owned by LUX also. Here is a link to Oakleys lens tech---http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/hdo/proven?cm_mmc=CJ-_-AFFILIATE-_-6147287-_-10477753 . Now for my own Pictures to show you I have done the research myself: The conditions were all the same, and the lenses were all in the same position for testing. The Oakley lens is NON polar and is the same quality optics as the Suncloud lens in the pics. The Suncloud is also a Base in Prism lens that is polycarbonate. The Suncloud lens cost is $19. See for yourself. THis was done to compare inferior lenses such as LineGear and the other aftermarket lenses available for X-Metals. The Oakley's are good without a doubt, so this is not to compare cheapies to Oakley, but to show that certain aspects of lenses can be the same or really close. Oakley does not corner the market on lenses for sure.
74d8.jpg

rwrf.jpg

7wb3.jpg

s73w.jpg
[/quote]

I agree with the rest of the post after where I cut it off, but..... HDO Optics=Polarized, (Iridium=Mirrored Coatings- which are of a certain size prism particle so the view is not distorted through a Stellar Projector), XYZ=Base in Prism. THey are used by many lens manufacturers including Costa Del Mar and Ray Ban which are owned by LUX also. Here is a link to Oakleys lens tech---(/snip) . Now for my own Pictures to show you I have done the research myself: The conditions were all the same, and the lenses were all in the same position for testing. The Oakley lens is NON polar and is the same quality optics as the Suncloud lens in the pics. The Suncloud is also a Base in Prism lens that is polycarbonate. The Suncloud lens cost is $19. See for yourself. THis was done to compare inferior lenses such as LineGear and the other aftermarket lenses available for X-Metals. The Oakley's are good without a doubt, so this is not to compare cheapies to Oakley, but to show that certain aspects of lenses can be the same or really close. Oakley does not corner the market on lenses for sure.
Are the Suncloud and Linegear taper corrected too? I used to think I understood Jim's comments in the replacement lens thread...

First: Jim is Correct in his patent, explanation etc.... I am not by all means refuting any of that. I love Oak lenses myself. I am actually just trying to parse the marketing words which I did above. Also proving to members, only because I have the ability to do so, that there is a big issue with aftermarket lenses. THEY ARE HORRIBLE. No one who does them that I have seen uses the Base In Prism (BIP) lenses. They all, including Oakley are polycarbonate lenses. Now, many things make the optical clarity what it is. The coating process is a big one. Linegear appears to have an issue with the coating they use. Either the Prism particles in the coating are to large and are distorting the view, or they have a vacuum leak in the coating machine. The Linegear are also not BIP lenses like the Oakley and Suncloud are. Honestly I just grabbed the Suncloud cause it was a BIP lens. Didn't know what the outcome was till I tried. Linegear says on their website that they are BIP, but they are not, and similar to VL, Walleva, and Exovista. You cannot buy a BIP Blank and cut and coat them, for the 25-30 price they ask. Massive amounts yes, but not on a limited quantity. I do a ton of Custom Cut lenses from Oakely donor lenses for X-Metals. All machine cut for the most part. THey are difficult to do. But some are really hard and alot of people like the funky colors available from aftermarket manufacturers. I am on the hunt to explain all there is to know about lenses, information wise, and then to produce a TOP quality optical choice for when Oakley quits manufacturing the lenses for X-Metals. The price is likely to be around 100= a pair, but if you go to your Optician and ask them to get you a custom quality set, the price is 250-300. Big diff. I hope all this helps.

Thats cool Infinite. I get it now. My concern about O support also extends to the tune up service, unobtainium, and the gasket in the juliet nosebridge. How do we keep these remaining works of art in circulation?

Super-----Contact X-Man, there is a sticky under X-Metal Discussion for his work. He can and does take better care of your glasses than Oak does. Gaskets for now get them at LineGear. Screws there is a thread for them somewhere. Linegear or there is a place cheaper, but I do not know it. LineGear Rubber is pretty good. Not factory and lessens the value a little , but they still are really good. None of the other aftermarket ones are worth anything at all. I think I answered all questions