• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metal lenses 'peeling' what the main cause?

crusader

Oakley Beginner
Singapore
Hi guys, is it because of sweat or because of the heat inside my car?
I guess it could be both but what do you think is the main cause? Sweat or heat?
One more question, I just got a preowned Romeo and I do a search on the lenses and it seems that lenses crack is a common problem for Romeo. Does this applied to aftermarket lenses as well?
Thank you guru for replying my noob question

Someone may correct me but my understanding is that the coating on the lenses can peel if the cleaner used contains >5% alcohol. That is why I use the cleaner that Oakley sells (besides for $10 you get unlimited refills at O stores, Vaults and Sunglass Huts).

As for the Romeo 1 "cracking" it does not matter if they are stock or after market lenses (although the after market lenses that are slightly thinner might have a bit more flex to them). The reason for the cracking (and the reason they stopped making the Romeo 1) is because of their design. They do not have a "flex coupler" nose piece like the rest of the X-Metal line. This lack of flex in the nose piece means that the flexing occurs at the gaskets and causes stress on the lenses. I don't know if it helps but when I changed my lenses I was sure to avoid fully tightening the screws (tightened them all the way and then backed them off just a 1/4 turn).

Another way to avoid the cracking (and the loosening on other X-Metals) is to take them off like goggles (lift them up over your head - or at least straight forward as opposed to rotating them off with 1 hand like normal sunglasses).

Hope this helps... any one else's feed back would be welcome if I'm incorrect on any of this.

thank you talismanx for the input. I nvr wash my lenses with any kind of cleaners or maybe i should say, i never wash my Oakley and the only time i 'wash' them is when when i go swimming. As for Romeo1, any user put on aftermarket lense and it still crack?

lens peel because of salt and sweat. seems you dont treat your romeos very well. wash them regularly, use mild hand soap to clean off oil and sweat. none of my 38 pairs have ever had a lens peeling issue because i keep them clean. even my daily wearing JulieX.

the only people i know who have peeling lenses either -1. use hair gel products and 2. Dont clean their glasses.

Wat abt the heat, do you think heat is also a factor that cause 'peeling'? The temperature inside my car can be 50-60degree.

Back