• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Nosebridge Rivet Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajirbl

Oakley Expert
Ok,

I've made a prototype/first mill of a rivet removal tool to service the nose-bridge of most X-Metals.

As i said in a previous thread, i need about 25 people interested in the tool to make it worth my time at a machine shop initially. The cost would be $75 shipped CONUS, and will include three sets of "flex coupler" silicone and a few strips of 3m clear protectant film (used to protect automotive paint from stone chips) which in this case is to protect the paint/finish/rivet.

The lead time will be 3 weeks until shipment after the design is complete and all payments made. It will take me another week or two to finalize the design, ie find a suitable "cushion" for the end opposite the pin, as well as fine tuning the design for my flex silicone inserts. So we're basically looking at 4-5 weeks until they can ship.

If you're interested...please respond in this thread. And ask any questions in this thread instead of a private message. I'd prefer that everyone be privy to any information or questions.

Thanks,

oh, and if this is the wrong forum to post this please let me know...and how i'd go about moving it.

photo.JPG

You describe a custom rivet removal tool for x-metals and replacement flex coupler rubbers - what about the rivet reinstallation? Same tool, a different stock tool, or something else custom? Source of replacement rivets? Finishes on the rivets?

I support local empowerment and self-sufficiency, being a handy guy myself, and I support entrepreneurship in general - good luck to you. But I'm also a supporter of x-man's entrepreneurship specifically - do you have all the aforementioned bases covered? There's room for more than one person to do tune-ups on this forum and it provides redundancy and competition, but Mark's a great guy who has stepped up to provide a valuable service; I'd hate for something to hurt his side-business...

Last edited:
You describe a custom rivet removal tool for x-metals and replacement flex coupler rubbers - what about the rivet reinstallation? Same tool, a different stock tool, or something else custom? Source of replacement rivets? Finishes on the rivets?

I support local empowerment and self-sufficiency, being a handy guy myself, and I support entrepreneurship in general - good luck to you. But I'm also a supporter of x-man's entrepreneurship specifically - do you have all the aforementioned bases covered? There's room for more than one person to do tune-ups on this forum and it provides redundancy and competitoin, but Mark's a great guy who has stepped up to provide a valuable service; I'd hate for something to hurt his side-business...

Hey,

This has nothing to do with the X-man or his side business. This is built in redundancy for when/if he decides life becomes too busy to tune-up glasses anymore.

Rivet reinstallation is done with the same tool...just turn glasses around.

Regarding the replacement rivets, no, I don't offer them nor will I ever. I understand that constant removal and reinstallation of the rivets will wear them out, but doing this once or twice over the lifetime of the glasses WILL NOT. They are available on ebay, albeit for a very expensive price...but again it's built in redundancy. There are very few things that would piss me off more than not being able to wear these glasses 10 years down the road just because the rubber in the nosebridge is worn out.

This tool is not meant as competition for the X-man, just an option for those that have 1-50+ X-metals that will eventually need a tune-up...and not necessarily within the next 5-10 years. This tool does not refinish the frames like the X-man or Dr. Chop...there is no replacement for their service.

I simply noticed this thread and thought...I can make that cheaper than the $115+shipping that the guy in the video supposedly wanted for his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back