• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal original grey restoration

jdd32

X Metal Workshop
Sydney
I finally got the opportunity to access my friend's science lab over the weekend and it was hell of a fun time. I've managed to recreate the original x-metal grey finish amongst other crazy things.

The test subject was a very beat up pair of R1 in XM grey with heavy scruff marks and scratches. Here's an arm that's restored in original the glory of XM grey.

The other crazy results from other beater pairs resulted in "X-Metal Polished Grey" and "X-Metal Black Chrome".

All of these were achieved without painting, photoshopping nor electroplating. It's pure mad science chemistry.

Before01.jpg

Before02.jpg

XMGrey-After01.jpg

XMGrey-After02.jpg

It's a chemical bath using a cocktail of solutions performed under his scientific guidance. It may or may not be something that Oakley used but it has the same appearance and texture and durability. Short of kidnapping an Oakley employee to reveal the secrets, I think this is as close as it gets.

It's also something that can't be done in a home environment due to the hazards involved. The fumes ensued from the reactions are toxic.

I'll be getting the rest of my frames from the lab in a few hours time so I'll get a better gauge on consistency and quality. So far it's very promising, and if it all goes well with enough people interested, then the cost should be fairly cheap for a restoration job.

Latest Posts

Back