• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal original grey restoration

Wow, I wonder how a gen1 Juliet plasma would look restored...

I've figured out G1 Ti/Plasma but I'm not going to attempt restoring those just yet as that process is very different. Figuring out the "what" is one thing - figuring out the "how" is a different kettle of fish altogether ;)

Looks a bit like what H202 and NaOH does, but that does corrode titanium if left too long...

latest batch got my R1's back in like-new condition. That's 5 R1's, a Juliet, and 1 set of XS oribtals done so far with fairly consistent results! Now, where are my other R1's and XX's.....

before-after03.jpg

Here's a high res pic of a J serial XM arm restored which I thought I was going to lose the serial. This type of serial is not engraved and appears printed.

View attachment 174161

That SN is Laser Etched Using heat to anodize the titanium oxide layer with the serial number. This is how all the gold color SN are printed on XM.

The R1 SN's are actually laser Etched within the Titanium

If you understand how etching and blasting actually work then you will realize that with the X Metal finish you are achieving the same results by doing it either way. A true x metal finish can be identically replicated by blasting the Ti with a 220 grit Aluminum Oxide grit media, and then either allowing the Titanium to form a new Oxide layer naturally or darkening the Ti chemically, I have done both.

When Titanium is changed to a different color it is not actually the Titanium that is changed. It is the Oxide layer that is changed. This is how Anodizing Ti works. So if you are forming an x metal finish chemically you are in essence creating micro peaks and valleys within the titanium to give it the texture that the X metal finish has, and then chemically anodizing the Ti Oxide layer to the color of X Metal Grey.

So as @THE X-MAN says... is it a coating, or is it a blast???? It can be both, or it can be just a coating, either way the same results are achieved, but a different process is used to achieve the results.

Some of my X metal finishes are so close by blasting I cannot up close tell the difference against a new oem finish,so I agree with you on this.its all about pressure ,distance and blasting media.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat. The breakthrough was this chemical actually didn't alter the serials. I've previously blasted frames and serials are destroyed unless you mask it. I've used other chemicals and serials end up with different colours. R1 frames are easy to preserve because the laser etch has essentially engraved the frame. Other x metals with serials on the arms are only skin deep with the serial etch. Once you muck it up, it's irreversible.

Latest Posts

Back