• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Price Projection

If I may be so bold as to chime in with an additional 2 cents. No-one knows what tomorrow holds. Granted the current generation of Oakley collectors are chasing the older nostalgic pieces, but the younger generation, who are getting in to the game a tad later, may possibly also be after the collectables to set the collections apart from the other newbies. In relation to what the prices will be in two years time is anyone's guess, but an increase in asking price is also relative to an increase in salaries, increase in cost of living, increases in general. Maybe the percentages will differ, but a pair that goes for between $200 to $300 today compared to a pair in two years time that commands $400 to $600 shouldn't be that far out of reach. Look back at what you were earning when Juliets first came out to what you are getting now and their current market prices. I'd have it a guess that there isn't that much of a gap (unless you're a student). I think it would be fair to assume that a lot of the forum members here, myself included, couldn't afford what we have now because we couldn't afford it then. The same will rein true for the up and coming collectors & Oakley enthusiasts.

Buyers will always ask for a higher price in the hopes that they will get it, but there are always good deals to be had, the forum threads are proof of that. I don't think 2 or even 5 years down the track things will be any different.

Interesting discusson with a lot of different view points.

My two cents is that I rather look at it from the product point of view. The juliets had a 11 year run in an industry where bestselling models last 2-3 seasons max with exceptions being wayfarer and rayban aviators. Is this popularity due to the product or just a fashion fad. Till today I dont think there is a viable alternative for a pair of high end titanium casted sunglasses in the market. Moreover if we consider that the reason for shutting down production is due to safety regulations and not economical reasons, I believe x metal will continue to rise in prices unless someone come out with a better pair. Of course there is a ceiling to how much people will pay for glasses but i think that ceiling is around 600-700 for bnib and we still have maybe a 30% increase to go.

The thing I dont understand is who are buyng the 24k juliets and Ichiros on ebay for more than 1K lol. Cant imagine a consumer plunkng down 1.5k for a pair of shades. That is like aluminium c six prices.

Interesting discusson with a lot of different view points.
The thing I dont understand is who are buyng the 24k juliets and Ichiros on ebay for more than 1K lol. Cant imagine a consumer plunkng down 1.5k for a pair of shades. That is like aluminium c six prices.

That's what collecting is all about, it's not for regular consumers. Imagine the people paying millions of dollars for a particular postage stamp. You gotta have'em all.

I wonder if Oakley will gather new collectors at the same rate as in the past, given they are now moving more into the mainstream. And if they would be interested in collecting Xmetals or the more contemporary frames. If they do want a Juliet in the their collection, are they likely to have several or just one.
Also we have had a few people here selling up and hanging on to just a couple or so special pairs.
And when everyone is wearing Google glasses or whatever's he next big thing is to project information in front of their faces, will they still be any 'No shelf Whores' collectors about?

LNIB TiO2 Juliets already going for a touch under $600 on eBay UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oakley-JU...8?pt=UK_Sunglasses_Adults&hash=item5409c80cee

Or £355. Maybe £100 more than I expected but prices outside the US are already pretty strong in some cases. So I wouldn't leave it too long to dip your toes in the x-metal ocean.

Every now and again we see a Juliet dip under the £100 mark but it's getting rarer and rarer.

IMO the discontinuation of the X-Metal line created an influx of consumers to either get a pair or two or even few while they are still available, perhaps to have spares or even to take advantage of possible rise in prices.

From this point I don't see prices going much higher for the average pair. The limited pieces may however rise, although I can't see it being drastic.

You can probably count on availability to decrease and likely condition to worsen for the used market. New in box will be at a premium as always.

I pretty much agree with pjd1234. True, over time x-metals will become more and more rare, but over time there will also be an attrition of those who want them. My guess is that, aside from minor fluctuations, prices will remain fairly flat + inflation and then at some point drop again. Right now we're in a prime period where many still know and appreciate them but the discontinuation has both tightened supply and increased demand, kinda.

It's like some lasertag stuff I was buying 12 years ago (laser challenge V2). It had been discontinued and the replacement models were inferior, so people were snapping up used stock. Now they go for about 60% of what they were during that prime period.

When I'm buying my house and Bugati with the money I made from selling two plasma Juliets next year, I'm so gonna demand your phone number so I can say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" kronin! ;)

When I'm buying my house and Bugati with the money I made from selling two plasma Juliets next year, I'm so gonna demand your phone number so I can say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" kronin! ;)

If you pull that off, then I'll come over personally and you can I-told-you-so me as much as you want right to my face and I'll take it without complaint.

And then we'll have a drinking contest.:drinks:

And then, after you pass out, I'll take your Bugatti for a joyride...:car:

Sounds like a party! :party:

If you pull that off, then I'll come over personally and you can I-told-you-so me as much as you want right to my face and I'll take it without complaint.

And then we'll have a drinking contest.:drinks:

And then, after you pass out, I'll take your Bugatti for a joyride...:car:

Sounds like a party! :party:
IF THAT IS INFACT IS TRUE I MIGHT HAVE 3 PLUS A LAMBO THEN :crazy:

Back