• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Refinishing

Ry.1982

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Over the weekend I met another forum member (RonkPM) here in the local area of Seattle. Over the last couple of days we have been sharing ideas on the metal finishes of the x metals. Below are the customs jobs we did today. Experimenting and trying new things.... it was an absolute blast!

Let me know what you guys think of the color combos.

Results below:

Original Juliet Plasma Gen 3, Now X-metal/dark x-metal tio2 juliet

IMG_0814.JPG

Prior- XX tio2 in rough shape, nose bridge rubber pulverized, gunk up, frame had worn spots in the x-metal.
Now, DIY nose bridge repair, Refinished all x-metal finishes to dark x metal finish.
IMG_0815.JPG

Prior XS X-metal finish. Completely refinished, fitted witch custom RX Lenses from Oakler.

IMG_0825.JPG

Prior, Plasma gen 2 Juliets

Now Tio2 with light x-metal orbitals, and x-metal nose bridge.
IMG_0827.jpg

same x squared as above, prior to rebuild
IMG_0826.JPG

Last edited:
Once I figured out the correct tooling ( off the shelf, heavily modded tools) it wasn't a problem. the pins press out easily, and pressing them back in requires patience and attention.

I'm not a big fan of polishing, but I have an Idea for a unique set of XS i am going to mess around with this evening. BTW. The other forum member was RonkPM, I wanted to make sure he was ok with me posting it up. Te frames pictured are mine. Also finished putting these together last night. pretty happy with the outcome, and am surprised on how much I like the blue lens base of the ruby Iridium...

image1.jpg

Wow looking at it I think a really steady pair of hands too... Could you post some pics of the heavily modded tools? I think many of us will be interested ... Heehee