• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Repair Guide (Penny)

Nice -hunting a pair of Penny to go with my Juliet (though the Penny fits my tiny brained skull better), that looks very useful. The Pennys sure seem hard to come by...

Z...

A couple of weeks back I asked about tune-up options [X-Metal repairs ]. My curiosity couldn't help it - I had to try myself ;). I like that kind of stuff and try to repair what I can. I ordered a pin pusher tool and replacement parts from the good folks @Linegear Japan. Excellent service, I might add.

Excited as a little kid at christmas, I tuned a Penny and a Juliet the same afternoon I received the parts. I jotted down all my experiences in this guide at ifixit:
Full screen version: Oakley Penny (X-Metal) Tune-up - iFixit
Regular version: Oakley Penny (X-Metal) Tune-up
(Even though this forum is naturally a much better place to publish an Oakley repair, ifixit offers a pretty neat interface for building guides.)

The guide can be seen as an addition to [How to Change the nosebridge flex coupler, Remove and Install the nosebridge pin - LINEGEAR], adding dis-and reassembly of Penny's spring hinge (quite a few entries in this forum hinted those were a pain) and some issues I encountered. I did make some mistakes on the first pair that I'd like to share, so others can do it right the first time.

Who should attempt this repair: it is not super easy, but very doable if you have the right tools and like to do this kind of stuff. I specifically added mistakes I made so you don't have to repeat them. In the end, it worked out just fine.

X-Metals are expensive and not super abundant. If this is not for you, send them to one of the pros represented in this forum to have them tuned for you. They are very good at what they are doing and can even custom mod them for you, if you like.

Hope this helps. If you encounter typos (I am sure you will) or you have additions to contribute, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

PS: Thanks for all the good advice I found on this forum before attempting this. You guys rock, no doubt!
Great post ,Thank you for sharing 😁👍

Great job here. To have a perfect result you have to pay attention to a lot of details and you get them. I am still working around this job to improve.
I have two pusher tips: one is very sharp to pull out pins; secondo is very flat to push them in without marking...

Back