• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Romeo 1 imperfections and a few questions!

As an update, sunglasses still remain disassembled. I received the Linegear lenses, which look excellent, but they seem to be out of their rubber kits on the Amazon shop so I either wait for a restock, or I have to re-order direct from their store in Japan and wait the shipping.

On that subject, I remember I had to rescue the box a very long time ago from deteriorating because the actual spare rubber inserts provided along with the box foam lining was uhhh...decomposing. Making a tar like goopy mess that I had to clean to save the original box.

Once I'm able to reassemble the frames I'm going to opt to keep the imperfection and just roll with it. Like Surfaced said, products like these are rare, and the aesthetic that they impart show a product quality that is unique to find nowadays.

As an update, sunglasses still remain disassembled. I received the Linegear lenses, which look excellent, but they seem to be out of their rubber kits on the Amazon shop so I either wait for a restock, or I have to re-order direct from their store in Japan and wait the shipping.

On that subject, I remember I had to rescue the box a very long time ago from deteriorating because the actual spare rubber inserts provided along with the box foam lining was uhhh...decomposing. Making a tar like goopy mess that I had to clean to save the original box.

Once I'm able to reassemble the frames I'm going to opt to keep the imperfection and just roll with it. Like Surfaced said, products like these are rare, and the aesthetic that they impart show a product quality that is unique to find nowadays.
Once you have access to the exchange get some rubbers here

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm very glad to have found that there is still support/information and a good following for what I believe to be the pinnacle of Oakley's sunglasses line, X-metal frames.

I remember buying my first pair quite a while ago, and I honestly wish I'd purchased more, because I truly believed things would only 'get even better from there'. :)

I own a pair of Romeo 1's still with the box and coin etc, and noticed there are some imperfections in the frame. Using the forum's knowledge and guides I quickly came to the realization that I should've pulled these apart a long time ago, and bought replacement parts. The rubber gaskets of the original literally flaked off and disintegrated as I carefully disassembled the frames. The original iridium lenses have taken damage from the issue the Romeo 1's have with lense cracking. Fortunately, the etched lense (left) is perfectly intact, and the only damage done was to the right. Barely noticeable but there, I will work to find a mint condition right lense in the future. But for now, I bought Linegear's products, embedded Flash black lenses which seem to visually be a very good match to the originals, albeit slightly thicker.

Before this story ends happily with the install of the Linegear lenses, I need to ask advice of the forums as to what to do with the imperfection, which is shown in the attached picture. I'm assuming this is excess 'flash' from the molding process that was originally used, and this is problematic as this flashing comes into contact with the right lense, eventually scratching the surface if not worse.

I come from a engineering and metalworking background, and I'm confident that I can use my own tools to remove this excess material and enact the repair, however the process that was used to put the finish on the frames must be electroplating of some sort. Best case scenario, I'm able to control the rotary tool so there is only a tiny bit of exposed metal visible, worst case, there's a lot of exposed metal visible. Can anyone provide me with better information as to how I would go about re-coating a small area left behind? Part of me thinks that the ultimate answer to this is "nah you have to blast and redo the whole thing." I'd rather not do that though because I want to preserve as much of the original work as possible, and from work experience, color matching finishes is USUALLY a nightmare.

Thank you all for your time!View attachment 1026263
I am pretty sure have owned and may still jave a pair that os similar! good choice in keeping it correct.

Latest Posts

Back