• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal RX Lenses NLA in UK

Sonic

Oakley Enthusiast
Bucks, UK
Just spoken to my dealer in the UK to put in another order for some Juliet and Carbon Blade RX lenses as i've got a couple of sets laying around that i'd really like to wear!

RX blade lenses are no problem, however apparently Oakley will now no longer produce any lenses for frames that aren't current since moving production back to Europe - basically i can no longer get any rx lenses for my x-metals from Oakley :shock:

I suppose i should count myself lucky they've provided them right up until now, however having a collection of X-Metals, and being dependent on prescription lenses - this isn't great news!!

Other labs will offer lenses to fit them, and Shamir have been recommended to me as they apparently provided Oakley with a lot of technology during their production.

I'm inquiring about prices, but wondered if anyone else had the same issue, or any recommendations for other lens providers for our beloved X-Metals? I see a few references to Fuse, but they entirely US-based.

It might be that you lucky Stateside crew can still get X-Metal rx lenses no problem, and it's just us unlucky European's that are screwed! o_O

Like yourself I've had genuine RX Oakley lenses supplied and fitted by Oakley when their lab was in Mullingar, Southern Ireland. That lab closed in late 2017 and lenses for the X metal range are no longer available. I approached my optician and he was able to source the correct base curve blanks from Norville Optics in the UK and have them cut and fitted in the lab that he uses. I've had two pair of polished hammerstem Juliets glazed recently, one in mirror blue (very similar to the Oakley Ice lens) and the other in mirror emerald green. Fit and finish is on a par with the jobs that Oakley did and I notice no difference in the optics whatsoever. Price for each set of lenses was £200 inc fitting, the genuine Oakley lenses came in at £260 when they were fitted in 2017.
Go and have a chat with your optician, you have nothing to lose and you may well be pleasantly surprised.

Back