• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Sizing

Mervillian

Oakley Expert
Sorry if this is topic has been covered before; did a quick search and did not find anything.

How do the sizing of X-metals compare. I am new to them and with them discontinued it is not like I can go to the store to size up the different models.

Specifically looking to know how X-Squared (hopefully my next pair) compare to Juliet (my only current pair), but interested in how the rest compare as well. Is the distance between the stems the same and you just use different size temple shox and nosebombs to fit them to your face? Obviously the lens sizes vary, but it is sometimes difficult to tell the scale from pictures.

Sorry if this is a very beginner questions and thanks in advance for your help.

The penny is the smallest of the metals and I've never owned one but believe the R1 to be the largest. I have a small head/face and used to be able to wear Juliet's using 25t shocks and used size 15 on an x squared. I have also owned an xx, I found the stems to be further apart than the Juliet's even with different t shocks. The lenses on xx are also slightly bigger.Not sure how much I've helped

All things considered, I personally thought the Penny's and the Juliet's felt very similar on my head, with the only real difference being the eye coverage and the position where the frames rest on your face. I found the X-Squared's to be noticeably heavier when I wore them, though they do offer the best eye coverage. To me, the stems all felt about the same. The same amount of pressure was exerted against my head and on my ears. The position of the nose bombs played a significant factor in the way all 3 pairs felt on my face, though again the Penny's and Juliet's were more similar then different, while the added weight of the X-Squared's were noticeable but not a negative. For me, the worst part was that the x-squared's touch my cheeks in a fashion which I find uncomfortable. The glasses felt as if they were going to fall off my face (they weren't) because they touched a part of my face I was wasn't used to having my glasses normally touch. Obviously the X-Squared's provide the best eye coverage, but to me the added weight, plus the overall look just wasn't what I wanted in my glasses. There are certainly a good amount of X-Squared fan's on this forum, but I would be hesitant to recommend them without trying a pair on first. To me the differences were significant compared to the Juliet's and not in a way I liked.

I did some searching and I found these images on google comparing the Penny's, Juliet's and X-Squared's... These aren't my photos but Hopefully this helps some from a visual standpoint.

Penny's: Juliet's: X-Squared's
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL72J2-C71KeMKbp6LE1WVFD1_0cMG7RnMsz53lSZt1yH8fLYR
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTELIVhF2Buv8GbzgzDnKp-rOrtFX7a3fAOKP3fIkbOrvXp6vqZPbsf-lAn
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBx18HTcT35MWRzcn3IbxFye7BAmcVErzJrXpgkqgeZXpqiHQQQMU_9XQs

Thanks for all the responses. I'm considering the X Squared because I like the coverage and look of my Whisker Squared more than my standard Whisker. I also feel that on my Juliet, I can get distracted by the part of the frame where the screw is. I'll probably shy away from the Penny as it seems this would get worse (and I have a fairly big head).
Also have my eyes on the Romeo 1 and the XX, but as a new X-metal collector, I'll save the XX as they look very similar to the Juliet (rather have more variety for a small collection) and the Romeo seems like a good pair to build up to.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm considering the X Squared because I like the coverage and look of my Whisker Squared more than my standard Whisker. I also feel that on my Juliet, I can get distracted by the part of the frame where the screw is. I'll probably shy away from the Penny as it seems this would get worse (and I have a fairly big head).
Also have my eyes on the Romeo 1 and the XX, but as a new X-metal collector, I'll save the XX as they look very similar to the Juliet (rather have more variety for a small collection) and the Romeo seems like a good pair to build up to.

Take notice of the ear stems on the XS. They are not as long as other metals, some people dislike the fit.

fit small to large- mars, juliet, xsq, xx, penny, halfx romeo, romeo2.

coverage small to large- penny,mars, juliet ,romeo2, half x, xx, xsq, romeo.

its approximate but close. people can argue different (esp about the pennys), but the fact is spring hinges fit looser. but wether it looks right on your face is a different story.

for coverage anything from R2 to xsq is pretty close in coverage.

Last edited:
still wondering why members claim the xs is a larger fit than the juliets. i cannot even fit in xs but can easily wear juliets. maybe it has something to do with the arms of the xs being shorter....for mars, i cannot even wear them with ANY shocks. without shocks is still a tight fit. damn my big asian disfigured head.....lol

@freakface- it depends on the pair you get. brand new juliets on average are tighter than brand new xsquareds. the flex coupler in both are the same rigidity, however the tshocks in the xsquared are the hollow ones which have alot more give. but if you have an older juliet of course it fits looser. my daily wearer julieX has the same fit/comfort as my romeo1. in fact, the loosest fitting is the Romeo2. my mistake above, i will change it

i agree about the mars- a brand new condition mars has couplers so tight (plus the design inherently has less flex than the newer couplers in juliet and later) that i have cut a tshock in half widthwise just for my craters. no use cramming them on and damaging the flex couplers

Back