• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Soft Vault

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct, there are 2 sizes of the xmetal soft vault. most newer ones (shipped with the xsquared) are large enough for the romeo but the old ones were not.

juliets will not fit in large carbon vault. only the Mars and Penny (maybe romeo2) will fit into the large carbon vault/ large torpedo vault.

also advise against placing in Mframe or radar or flak jacket cases. those have the wrong curvature for the orbitals and youre just stressing out the flex couplers. youre better off leaving them on a shelf.

Thanks BriP for clearing up the X Metal Soft vault thing, and didn't even consider the stress on the flex couplers with the M Frame case. Hell, even the cases that 'Barely fit' the Juliets would probably be bad for that. I think I'll stick to the microfiber bag inside the X Metal Vault.. either soft or hard.

Thanks BriP for clearing up the X Metal Soft vault thing, and didn't even consider the stress on the flex couplers with the M Frame case. Hell, even the cases that 'Barely fit' the Juliets would probably be bad for that. I think I'll stick to the microfiber bag inside the X Metal Vault.. either soft or hard.
Yup, exactly :)

Might be... I'll post some pics if I have the chance; got some home repairs starting next week. Thanks!!

Here's my "unknown" case.

Closed empty:
20140506_125230.jpg

Open with Juliets in microfiber bag:
20140506_125304.jpg

Open with naked Juliets. You can see the jet intakes stick out a little bit:
20140506_125329.jpg

But when I close it, it just fits - this is 9/10ths closed around Juliets in bag:
20140506_125420.jpg

And completely closed with bagged Juliets inside:
20140506_125435.jpg

I can see BriP's point about stressing flex couplers, but I've yet to have a problem with that. However, these days I rarely zip it shut, instead use it like a reinforcing liner in a similarly-shaped pocket in my backpack:
20140506_125533.jpg

yup i believe that is the old "medium ballistic case" used for sports frames etc. the flex coupler issue wont happen overnight, but just judge if the case is in fact stressing the couplers or not. ive not used a medium vault yet so i dont know about that particular one.

i just keep one of my xmetal cases and a large watch case in my bag all the time, so anytime a pair had to get stowed away, it can be. no point just displaying those

Careful with that case. My wife lost a pair of wires when her luggage had a rough trip. Not fun

Is there a thread that addresses long term X-Metal storage? Look at Hando's picture.
See that left case there is a hard like seal-it foam. I would advise not using those for
long term storage as the vapors react with foam vapors and can damage the frame.
Using the velvet cases Hando's middle and right case, I would put them in a micro-fiber
case just to be on the safe side. The following listing below (I'm not affiliated with the person), the last
pictures illustrate the effect. Notice the lasts couple of pictures? The discoloration pitting of the frames
in the last picture you can see the degradation of the foam.
Current ebay listing as of 5/4/14 (somebody grab the photos for illustrative purposes)

Oakley X Metal RUBY lens Ducati color juliet romeo
Oakley x Metal Ruby Lens Ducati Color Juliet Romeo | eBay

All in all I wouldn't trust that first style case with that hardened foam or that gray foam.
The frames pitted look/blackened dots...could be from the foam, if he didn't use a microfiber bag before placing them inside and the foam flaked off into the natural finish of the X-metal parts of the Ti finish itself.....but also maybe he wore them and was near water and thought was only wearing them for a short time and they didn't get wet so no need to clean the frames....then the pits develop due to the small amount of water vapor in the air never getting cleaned off of them.

Also could just be the Ti finish of those frames in the first place. One thing tho' if he never used a microfiber bag I'm surprised there isn't any scratches on the lenses if was used at all from the rigid foam. Unless he cut the bottoms out to let the juliets fit more easily....

Left to right: radar/flak, X metal, large vault.

They will fit... but it's dangerously tight on the flak and large

View attachment 6255
The case on the far left is the one I bought off from Ebay, the rigid foam has the same layout. Seller said it fits Juliets amongst other various frames, but just as your pic shows....it isn't a safe idea to shove the Juliets down into that rigid foam nor will it close right. Risk the lenses scratching using either slots and doesn't leave Any room to use a microfiber bag at all either with such a narrow slot. On top of that, the 2 slots for frames don't match the curvature of the Juliets and bends'n'stresses out the frames.
If use the inner curve = the case won't close & stresses the frames out.
If use the outer curve = the case closes just fine since the glasses sits more centered, but the curve still doesn't match the frames and stresses everything out.
...and using either risks lenses scratching, even if used a microfiber bag I doubt would help at all in that aspect~

But...if you make cuts in the right places to remove the foam that separates the 'inner' & 'outer' curves and cuts to accommodate the nose piece, the X-metal Juliets will sit in the widen gap and the foam won't touch the frames/lenses at all and everything closes fine'n'dandy with the microfiber bag + microfiber cloth wrapped around them. All with less jostling around (=

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back