• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal XX Back In Business !

MysteriousRacerX

Oakley Beginner
Howdy Folks!

Decided to start with my XXs (see my other threads), so here's the results:

8623778416_920e392cac_b.jpg

8623778642_e9d1a7bc07_b.jpg

8623778886_d43148ba64_b.jpg

8622674241_13953da1bf_b.jpg

The details:

Original XXs from very early 2000
DIY nose/bridge gasket fix
OEM Black Iridium lenses (replaced blue OEM from a send-to-Oakley swap)
Linegear small nose pieces (also have a backup set)

The glasses are nice and solid now, with a touch of flex (probably close the original spec), the small nose pieces are an excellent fit, OEM lenses? Great optics but FMA, I had to file them to get a good solid fit and get the fasteners down nice and tight. Surprised that the OEM lenses were a bit off.

Total cost, about $85 ($65 for lenses, $20 for nose pieces, everything else was nothing, just some trimming of some rubber gasket material I had, commitment, big ol' mallet and a T6 driver).

Looking good, and I'm sure the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself was worth far more than paying to get them done elsewhere. I wouldn't worry too much about having to file down the lenses to get the fit right, I've read a ton of posts about early metals needing some extra attention when fitting new lenses, especially the R1. Plus with the age these frames have now there's always the chance they've flexed and warped slightly from the day they were built until now. Good work!

I would want to change the rubbers on the nise bridge of my penny but do not know to remove the rivets, how did you manage to take out the rivets of you xx metal? I have been itchy to do this diy but i can find any decent brief description how to do this diy.

RacerX, i didnt know Xmetal XX has full plasma frame. In my impression, i thought the XX series comprises of Xmetal / Tio2 and 24K. Maybe i am wrong....! In my Oakley catalog dated 2001, i didnt see XX plasma frame.

Looking good, and I'm sure the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself was worth far more than paying to get them done elsewhere. I wouldn't worry too much about having to file down the lenses to get the fit right, I've read a ton of posts about early metals needing some extra attention when fitting new lenses, especially the R1. Plus with the age these frames have now there's always the chance they've flexed and warped slightly from the day they were built until now. Good work!

Thanks, yeah, I love to tinker with stuff anyway: tech, cars, whatever, I'm always willing to give something a shot, but I always make sure I'm aware of the consequences :)

I would want to change the rubbers on the nise bridge of my penny but do not know to remove the rivets, how did you manage to take out the rivets of you xx metal? I have been itchy to do this diy but i can find any decent brief description how to do this diy.

See consequences above :D Seriously though, like I said in another thread: I was OK if the results were damaged glasses, that's the main thing. Then being comfortable with doing the sort of thing, that required a punch and a big rubber mallet and some serious commitment!

Xx came in plasma and ice.

Correct.

Xmetal/black
Ti02/black
24k/24k
Plasma/ice

Thanks for the info, I couldn't even recall if the blue lenses I removed were the original, or if they'd been swapped (I'm thinking these may be the originals).

I am glad to see your X-metal XX's are in great condition! Your thread title gets my hopes up, whenever I read your title I think to myself "wow, maybe Oakley is re-releasing the X Metal XX"!

I am glad to see your X-metal XX's are in great condition! Your thread title gets my hopes up, whenever I read your title I think to myself "wow, maybe Oakley is re-releasing the X Metal XX"!

Hahaha, sorry, yeah, I re-read my title and I see how it might be construed as them being made again. As long as 3rd party parts stays available, and we have folks like X-Man, I plan on keeping mine until they dissolve :D

Back