• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals as Eyeglasses?

Free form digitally surfaced prescription lenses are available at your optician to compensate for peripheral distortion on wraparound eyewear. Oakley's version is True Digital. It's costly however.

I'm not too particular about the lenses as long as I can see. lol. But yeah, bye bye Juliets, this form at least.

Heading in to optician to see if they can do this otherwise gonna use Infinite Hero. Wearing them for the last time in this form. There is something to be said about the understated black polarized lenses, but I think it's time for a change. You guys are awesome, thanks again!

IMG_1202_zpsicbtik5p.jpg

I'm not too particular about the lenses as long as I can see. lol. But yeah, bye bye Juliets, this form at least.

Heading in to optician to see if they can do this otherwise gonna use Infinite Hero. Wearing them for the last time in this form. There is something to be said about the understated black polarized lenses, but I think it's time for a change. You guys are awesome, thanks again!

IMG_1202_zpsicbtik5p.jpg
I hope they turn out great! Post pics when you get them back.

I dont know who this guy is, but found these pics years ago online cus it looked cool. Pretty sure they're prescription lenses in these X metal frames (x squared and mars)...
Most likeyl this guy is a member on here.....lol

418807_283751498359205_100001730717876_791876_455705756_n.jpg

429948_280650395335982_100001730717876_785225_1582835621_n.jpg

XYZ just refers to providing as much clarity as possible across the entire range of the lens (or most of it), and with a non prescription lens this is possible to do pretty easily, and the tech has been around for a while to do so. With RX lenses, your RX determines various factors, mainly the thickness of the lens at various points, the thicker the lens, the more it refracts light, the more scattered the light becomes..
I think I meant true digital didn't I? I meant the process of allowing your 'scription through a curved lens wherever you look through it by (from how it was described to me) varying the thickness of the lens so it is correct wherever you look through it. Some sort of complex maths problem solving no doubt?
My local vision express said they could put lenses in it but it might be that when I looked anywhere other than straight forward there would be distortion. That's what I was asking about.

I had an optician send my Juliets back to Oakley for Rx lenses for daytime wear (polarized, etc). Now I've also got a pair of standard square Oakleys for nighttime but there's distortion at the edges so I hate wearing them. I'd like to pick up another pair of Juliets to put clear lenses in...

I should say when I sent mine to Oakley I had transitions put in them, they turn emerald which is why they look unclear in the photo (blurriness aside)

They still look great, thanks for sharing. I took mine to Lenscrafters who sent to Oakley. Can't wait to get them back

Finally got these back from Lenscrafters, a few weeks ago actually but been too busy to post back up. Let's just say, if you thought you got compliments on having X-Metals as sunglasses, wearing these around the office as eyeglasses is a real conversation starter. First few days I wore them got so many reactions on them. Many didn't notice or pay enough attention to say anything but reactions positive/negative were:

"really cool glasses"
"look very comfortable"
"so sci-fi"
"those glasses look really stupid"
"are those goggles?"
"what are you WEARING???"
"I really like those glasses!!!"

More positive than negative for sure. To wear the peripheral distortion was quite noticeable, but you got used to it real quick. The wrap feels like you are not wearing glasses at all. Wore them running a few times at night and sweat with the nosebombs make them slip down for sure. Otherwise, super comfortable, can wear them for hours. The don't feel heavy to me at all. Love em!!!

IMG_0028_zpslkehmzkz.jpg

Latest Posts

Back