• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metals as investments

Diamond Joe

Oakley Beginner
Perusing the X metal forums and I've noticed quite a few people who mention keeping their pair of minty R1s or matching serial XXs in their safe.

My plasma XXs had not been worn at all after a tune up and my X metal XXs had never been worn, just stored in their box.

How many people are looking at their XX, R1, Penny, Mars, whatever, as investments? Keeping them safe and not (or rarely) wearing them?

And *are* X metals a good "investment" do you think? If I spent $2,000 on some nice, rarer X metals, could I expect a decent ROI in a couple years?? I understand supply and demand, and I know that anything with a fixed supply that is no longer made and rare (baseball cards, coins, cars, sneakers, etc) will always sell well, but do you think prices will continue to rise for X metals?

Just wondering peoples thoughts.

I don't know what you got there, but 2K$ seems a bit steep for a single pair. Generally, most people here love Oakleys because we love to wear them. I am sure some people have pairs they don't wear for one reason or another (because they got too many to actually wear, collecting all color ways, you like them but they don't really suit you, older O-Matter frames that are prone to cracking...).
Taking a pair off the market speculating on the price increase is not something I would do. I'd rather have somebody else enjoy them then. But that's me. It's your pair. You can do whatever. The general advice is always: get up, wear them, repeat. :)

i’m with Andr3. Who knows what the future holds for X-Metal values. Or any Oakley items for that matter. As the older Oakley collectors that had pairs when they were younger and want to buy those same pairs as a bit of nostalgia.. Or the older collectors that have collected for years sell off collections or just move on with life.. is there going to be the same interest from today’s generation? i doubt it. X-Metal prices are as high now as they have been in years due to the MJ TV series and the release of the Romeo and Juliet set. If you look at your X-Metals as an investment the market might never be where it is now. I say wear them and enjoy them. Or if they are just a pair of sunglasses to you, get what you can now.

@Diamond Joe

To each their own; any investment can be a risk.
I think most people here are in love with the idea of what Oakley used to be, and that idea dies with us.
I personally wear mine daily, but I would love to have a 'break-glass-for-emergency' pair for safe keeping.

Do your homework, keep an eye on the market, and happy collecting!

It wasn’t that long ago you could get a Mars for $100 brand new. Interests go up and down and like @Titan X said the MJ documentary sparked interest again in X-Metals (it did for me). In 20 years they might be worth half of what they are worth now or double. Depends if Pair Hilton wears a pair or not. Whoops. That was 15 years ago🤣 I guess if Charli wears them on her TikTok channel they’ll be even worth more. 🤪😜

I don't know what you got there, but 2K$ seems a bit steep for a single pair.
It was a hypothetical question, as in, if I had 2K to invest, would an index fund at 8% be a better investment? Or if I bought $2k WORTH of X metals (obviously multiple pairs) would that return better than 8% over the next, say, 5 years.

I'm not actually doing this, I buy sunglasses to wear. I just wanted to hear people's opinions. Someone said in another thread (searching for a bunch of different x metals) that he considered them an investment, and it got me thinking.

It wasn’t that long ago you could get a Mars for $100 brand new. Interests go up and down and like @Titan X said the MJ documentary sparked interest again in X-Metals (it did for me). In 20 years they might be worth half of what they are worth now or double. Depends if Pair Hilton wears a pair or not. Whoops. That was 15 years ago🤣 I guess if Charli wears them on her TikTok channel they’ll be even worth more. 🤪😜
Ugh.. don't remind me about Mars.. a decade ago I let my Mars go for under $200.

Even though it was a hypothetical question, I'll admit that I *do* like tangible investments. I'm a big fan of physical silver and gold, and I have several numismatic investments - really old and/or super rare coins (and currency) that are not only an investment, but that give me a thrill to hold and admire and ponder.

Not that long ago a brand new Mars for $100? When and where was that?

Back