• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metals as investments

collectors will be collectors. for me, once I buy something, i would likely never part with it, and I never belived in shelf queens on any kind. I have recently fixed my XXs, and they have become my main wear. once I have some ca$h, I will purchase some better lenses and rings/socks. same for my R1s. I need to polish them and refurbish the lens/silicone too.

I never liked ppl who buy stuff, that maybe they dont even care about it, just for the sake of investment. but that is my opinion. i guess if ppl do it, it is because they DO get their money's worth. and there will be ppl that will buy NISB items and pay premium just because they can or because they always wanted that item they could not get when thet where young.

I always wanted a G1 Transformers Jetfire. remember seeing it at a store for 50usd. good luck finding a NIB now for a decent price. but thats the way the market goes. if ppl are willing to pay, then it is worth the price.

I wish I would have started collecting back then. I was more in to other things during that time period. I had bought both a Romeo and a Juliet and would upgrade my Oakley watch every few years, but didn’t really start collecting til years later. Oh well.
Same here Brother. I didn’t have money for XMetals back then. But had a Straight Jacket and fake Eye Jacket and some Gascans. And a Frogskin.

Perusing the X metal forums and I've noticed quite a few people who mention keeping their pair of minty R1s or matching serial XXs in their safe.

My plasma XXs had not been worn at all after a tune up and my X metal XXs had never been worn, just stored in their box.

How many people are looking at their XX, R1, Penny, Mars, whatever, as investments? Keeping them safe and not (or rarely) wearing them?

And *are* X metals a good "investment" do you think? If I spent $2,000 on some nice, rarer X metals, could I expect a decent ROI in a couple years?? I understand supply and demand, and I know that anything with a fixed supply that is no longer made and rare (baseball cards, coins, cars, sneakers, etc) will always sell well, but do you think prices will continue to rise for X metals?

Just wondering peoples thoughts.
I can’t imagine how much more they can possibly go up, but then again they are a limited edition item.

I guess everyone is different, and what they do to their Oakleys is entirely up to them.
There are some that I consider 100% novelties; completely untouchable and solely for the purpose of collecting and having them, and there are few that I wear because I have to /want to!

Monkey

I think the X-Metals will die with our generation.

It's just like Star Wars; we grew up with the original trilogy, hate the new stuff, and no first time viewers will understand the magic it once had.

IDK about that man. X metals have a sort of timeless quality where I can't imagine they would ever look dated or old.

I hear you, but I don't see future generations sinking $500-$1000+ on a pair of sunglasses without the nostalgia.
I believe that many of our children will feel nostalgic for the X-metals that Dad or Mom collected and wore.

Back