• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metals as investments

A friend and member here who I purchased a lot from about 5/6 yrs ago had a rule of thumb for xmetals, I was skeptical because I thought some models were not worth it, but he said xmetals $200 and under, intact, just buy it!

Also @GRFMotorsports I think mentioned before he had a habit of keeping $100 bills handy so if he saw a valuable pair he would offer people cash for their glasses on the spot hoping the person just never really thought of selling 10-year-old glasses off their face.

I am glad to report that these tactics have paid off pretty well!

The chances of me even seeing someone with a x-metal frame is like seeing a unicorn. Other than a couple forum members I’ve met in the last 2 years, I’ve only ever seen 2 other people in the wild wearing X-metals. Even back in the early 2000’s. Any Oakley’s I see on faces are usually Holobrook or Gascans. -I wonder what the Geographical location of most X-metal wearers are.

A friend and member here who I purchased a lot from about 5/6 yrs ago had a rule of thumb for xmetals, I was skeptical because I thought some models were not worth it, but he said xmetals $200 and under, intact, just buy it!

Also @GRFMotorsports I think mentioned before he had a habit of keeping $100 bills handy so if he saw a valuable pair he would offer people cash for their glasses on the spot hoping the person just never really thought of selling 10-year-old glasses off their face.

That's not the only thing I keep $100 bills around for.

I saw one pair of Juliet's at the drag strip this weekend. I wasn't really even thinking about buying them although now I guess maybe I should have. I just said nice Oakleys as I walked past him and pointed to my Scelzis I was wearing. He smiled.

The chances of me even seeing someone with a x-metal frame is like seeing a unicorn. Other than a couple forum members I’ve met in the last 2 years, I’ve only ever seen 2 other people in the wild wearing X-metals. Even back in the early 2000’s. Any Oakley’s I see on faces are usually Holobrook or Gascans. -I wonder what the Geographical location of most X-metal wearers are.
surprisingly enough I have seen a decent amount when I am in the SF bay area.

Even Juliets are somewhat scarce, compared to the recent past.
Not to mention Romeo 1 and Mars, which are now almost impossible to find at what we used to think as reasonable prices.
I believe high valuations are here to stay.

xvj-q4QAmXIAAAAM.gif

That's a very good rule.

Don't think I've ever seen an xmetals in the wild around here and even tho I didn't know about them before this year, I would have remembered seeing them at flea markets etc etc since their appearance is hard to forget.

You need to find a really rare pair for it to gain significant value in the future but even those have seemed to plateau. I have quite a few rare Oaks but never considered them an investment, just a hobby. Smarter things to invest in and If Oakleys go up in value it won’t be enough to pair off your car or house if you know what I mean

Back