• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals devaluation due to customizing

American saalen 7
image.jpeg

I'll take that orange Turbo in the background.

To answer the OPs question,though. It is highly dependent on what customization is done, who did it and how well it's done. Personally that black ceramic you are trying to emulate seems really cool to me, and it's something I would buy. Would 100% of people like it, probably not. Would a large majority like it, I think so.

With new customers who don't know what they have and want to blast or paint them if they are mint I always try and talk them out of refinishing them.some thank me for the honesty and some say " they are mine and I don't care,paint em".I had a guy last month with a mint romeo 1 shipped to me in its original serialed box,I told him I won't refinish these ,I think he was pissed but hell understand one day and thank me.

Late to the party...

Yeah, this has been discussed in some detail before. Something in mint collectible condition will be devalued by customization.

Another way to think about it is, customizing won't increase the value. People buy a $350 pair, spend $100 customizing it, then value it at $450. But it's actually still worth just $350, you don't get a return of your investment. You would have to get a trashed pair really cheap to increase it's value by customizing it, but that increase is really for the restoration, not the customization. In other words, spending the same money to restore it to an OEM-like condition would have a similar, if not better, effect on value.

And then, as mentioned, there's the market. A customized frame will have a smaller market than an OEM one. You'll be limited to the pool of people who like that particular customization, and that's not everybody. Of course, there may be some who find it so desirable that they'd be willing to pay more than standard value, but usually not more than it'd cost to make another one themselves...

Customization should be done out of a desire for a maybe-unique pair that suits your tastes, without any expectation of getting your money back, or even planning on eventually selling them. Finding beater pairs to customize is not mandatory, just a smart practice.

Late to the party...

Yeah, this has been discussed in some detail before. Something in mint collectible condition will be devalued by customization.

Another way to think about it is, customizing won't increase the value. People buy a $350 pair, spend $100 customizing it, then value it at $450. But it's actually still worth just $350, you don't get a return of your investment. You would have to get a trashed pair really cheap to increase it's value by customizing it, but that increase is really for the restoration, not the customization. In other words, spending the same money to restore it to an OEM-like condition would have a similar, if not better, effect on value.

And then, as mentioned, there's the market. A customized frame will have a smaller market than an OEM one. You'll be limited to the pool of people who like that particular customization, and that's not everybody. Of course, there may be some who find it so desirable that they'd be willing to pay more than standard value, but usually not more than it'd cost to make another one themselves...

Customization should be done out of a desire for a maybe-unique pair that suits your tastes, without any expectation of getting your money back, or even planning on eventually selling them. Finding beater pairs to customize is not mandatory, just a smart practice.
Totally agree some members think since they customized, refinished, that they are worth more?? Maybe to some, but not to the majority. A hard core collector will always consider original vs refinish.

Late to the party...

You covered me 100% thanks man;)

Back