• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals devaluation due to customizing

STavros

Land of the Gods and ....Molon Lave
Greece
I was just wondering how much and if the value of an X-metal frame decreasing when it is being customized and in some times losing its serial as well.
what are ur thoughts?

Devalued? Depends on the model, condition, customisation and finally I would add "who did it".

Explanation.

1. MODEL: If you are talking about a rare model this has intrinsic value (including serial numbers).
  2. Condition: whilst this can be in the eye of the beholder as some people like "stressed looks". To me an old beat up pair of non-serialised plasma are likely to be only worth the value of the X-Metal itself. By that I mean the finish can be improved on or even changed due to the tough nature of the material.
  3. Customisation: I guess this could be subjective, but my feeling and that of other forum members, is that paint is really not the way to go. Good as a party piece, but not for keeps. On the other hand anodizing, plating and Ti coatings (which evoque the standard finishes) could be very desirable.
  4. Who: There are a number of forum members, as you know, that do really impressive work with these frames. Some you could say are finishes that Oakley could/should have produced as they are so nice. @THE X-MAN and @InfiniteHero . I can see these actually adding value compared an original tired plasma frame. I personally think that the aforementioned could even add their own identifier on the finish to show off their work.
This is only my opinion, but as things evolve as pieces will need to be restored will change the way these items are viewed.

Devalued? Depends on the model, condition, customisation and finally I would add "who did it".

Explanation.

1. MODEL: If you are talking about a rare model this has intrinsic value (including serial numbers).
  2. Condition: whilst this can be in the eye of the beholder as some people like "stressed looks". To me an old beat up pair of non-serialised plasma are likely to be only worth the value of the X-Metal itself. By that I mean the finish can be improved on or even changed due to the tough nature of the material.
  3. Customisation: I guess this could be subjective, but my feeling and that of other forum members, is that paint is really not the way to go. Good as a party piece, but not for keeps. On the other hand anodizing, plating and Ti coatings (which evoque the standard finishes) could be very desirable.
  4. Who: There are a number of forum members, as you know, that do really impressive work with these frames. Some you could say are finishes that Oakley could/should have produced as they are so nice. @THE X-MAN and @InfiniteHero . I can see these actually adding value compared an original tired plasma frame. I personally think that the aforementioned could even add their own identifier on the finish to show off their work.
This is only my opinion, but as things evolve as pieces will need to be restored will change the way these items are viewed.
Thanks for sharing ur thoughts mate
i have a Xmetal Romeo 1 with no issues on the coating serialized starting with 1..... i was wondering if i make a custom paint on this frame and the serial is gone woul it lose its value.Always meaning that the new coating-finish would be perfectly done

Thanks for sharing ur thoughts mate
i have a Xmetal Romeo 1 with no issues on the coating serialized starting with 1..... i was wondering if i make a custom paint on this frame and the serial is gone woul it lose its value.Always meaning that the new coating-finish would be perfectly done
I personally think it would. If it is OK I would be tempted to leave it as is. Romeo frames are a little different to others as they are the first and not many people hoarded them like other models. A lot of unboxed/non-OEM rubber and lenses. In other words, yours could be in a relatively good condition compared to the average pair. Ultimately your call though.

If you can find a really beat-up pair, get them and use them as your project pair.

Hmmm
I just completed a anodized XX frame
The 24K frame before custom with decent lens no box was worth $350.00
After the make over. new custom lens and Lingear rubber. I have another $225 in them
are they worth $575.00 prob not
Same with the Ferrai custom I did on a trashed Carbon Juliet frame
I will prob never get the full value of the frame after the custom work. But they were trashed to start with, that may be the key. A frame thats discolored or scratched real bad. the custoim may add value to it.

So yes I would say it did devalue them some
Now 5 years form now, who knows
Or find the right buyer that apreciates the custom, and you might break even

Remember too,you can always bring them back to the original config,just like cars and motorcycles people want something different,when you get bored of the paint you strip and change it up with rubber and lenses.it comes down to do you wanna wear em or collect them,leave the rare stuff alone.

Value is determined by what somebody is willing to pay...

If you have a Serialed Romeo complete with box/coin and you go out and get it anodized copper with some custom lenses and Linegear rubber, someone may think they're worth $1000...

Do what you want with your glasses - not everyone will have the same opinion on the customization and value afterwards...

The fact is that the Romeo1 iam thinking of recoating is only shades does not come with a box but it is serialized one.it is just that i ve seen recently Romeo 1 polished and matte blacks that keep their value and i was wondering what affect will that action will have to their prices during the period of time
Same my question for watches...would a ceracoted MM keep its value in comparison to the OEM one?

Generally bro an item thats has been molested lol looses its value compared to a mint or like new item. I believe this has been discussed before just dont remember the thread. Pricing is still subjective though custmized juliets ranges from 250 to 350.

Back