• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals devaluation due to customizing

I think that black and red MM that chop did would probably hold more value than a stock one
uploadfromtaptalk1447525172438.jpg

Don't forget mine lol

If you are worried about resale value of a customized pair, you are thinking about it in the wrong way. You customize something to fit your own preference, for your own taste.

I sacrifised an R1 to gold plating, but I am not thinking about ever selling it. It's probobly "worth" less now that it's a custom, yet I'd easily sacrifice another R1 frame if these got lost somehow. In fact I have sent two more Juliets for plating, and can't wait to see the results.

Can decrease if u do something that no one likes. Hydroprint or painting white or something extreme turns ur refinish into a beater frame. Also aftermarket rubbers and lenses don't help

If you are worried about resale value of a customized pair, you are thinking about it in the wrong way. You customize something to fit your own preference, for your own taste.

I sacrifised an R1 to gold plating, but I am not thinking about ever selling it. It's probobly "worth" less now that it's a custom, yet I'd easily sacrifice another R1 frame if these got lost somehow. In fact I have sent two more Juliets for plating, and can't wait to see the results.
i just have 2 identical Romeo 1 xmetal finish without boxes but both in mint condition no marks or scratches on the frame.i was just thinking of keeping the lowest serial of the 2 untouched and customize the other one. the thing is that i dont know if i will like the result ( :lolsign: ) and if there is a way i can keep the serial untouched.

i just have 2 identical Romeo 1 xmetal finish without boxes but both in mint condition no marks or scratches on the frame.i was just thinking of keeping the lowest serial of the 2 untouched and customize the other one. the thing is that i dont know if i will like the result ( :lolsign: ) and if there is a way i can keep the serial untouched.
You can have the serial taped off during the refinish to preserve it, but I'm not sure that really helps the issue. Some may like the preserved serial a little better than one without, but its value is still going to be about the same. I'd say a mint XM finish is worth more than a refinished one all day, but if you like it the result it really doesn't matter. If it were me, I would either look for a beater pair to refinish or maybe try to trade someone yours for a beater pair plus a little something extra. That way, you get your custom R1 and a mint XM Romeo isn't sacrificed! Just a thought...:idk:

Personally I don't like them and I don't buy them. I want mine as close to how they came out of the factory as possible. Not everyone is like that obviously, but you are limiting the pool of potential buyers by customizing. If you customize a cheaper pair to begin with, and maybe one that already needs some restoration, you probably aren't going to loose much if anything. It all depends on what was done though too. I can't help but notice some custom pairs that languish on the exchange seemingly never to be sold, and others go quickly though, so it just depends.

Back