• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals In The Wild

While in California I saw, at Disneyland, one pair of Ducati Juliets, one xmxx in x metal bi, and an x metal bi Juliet. There was also an x squared sighting to add on. Then at the hq I saw an elderly man buy his first pair of x metal Ruby Juliets and then saw an older man with x metal Ruby x squareds. That's about it. None in NY to date.

As I can remember I've seen a Plasma Ice Juliet, Plasma fire Juliet, plasma fire x squared, 24k Juliet ( Disneyland) and 2 x metal black Romeo 1's and that's in 10 years

I honestly believe that those of us who frequent this forum tend to have a bit of a distorted view of x-metals amongst the general public. Since all of us here are enthusiasts and collectors, owning a pair or three of x-metals is almost a given for most of us. But we need to keep in mind that we represent a tiny fraction of the overall market.

Paying $300 to $500 for a pair of sunglasses seems ridiculous to most people. I've been called "nuts" by people whom I've told how much my Juliets or Pennys cost. That seems to be the perception. You're crazy if you spend so much on a pair of sunglasses. So in the grand scheme of things, I honestly don't think the market for x-metals is/was really all that big...which could be one of the reasons Oakley killed them off last year. I'm not necessarily saying it is, though. I don't know the real reasons.

It doesn't surprise me that we don't see many people wearing them. It's probably because there really aren't that many out there. You can't use the members of this forum as a gauge. We in no way repesent the "normal" Oakley consumer that Lux/Oakley is catering to.

It's amazing how little we see yet after reading that Wired article, Oakley made anywhere from 7,000 - 10,000 X Metals per month. Though that could also mean the facilities' max output and maybe they only make a few runs per year...

Well, look at the serial numbers. Then add all the non-serial number frames.
I bet a large number of people are afraid to wear them after spending 4-450$ on a set of sunglasses and they're relegated for special occasions. I know I probably fall into the category of wearing O-matter frames to the beach or somewhere else where they can get lost/stolen/damaged

I spoke with a guy wearing Romeo 1 last year on the beach, I have seen Juliet's in Colorado this winter and there is a guy at work wearing x squared (before x squared he had pennies). So x metal isn't that unusual around me...

I spoke with a guy wearing Romeo 1 last year on the beach, I have seen Juliet's in Colorado this winter and there is a guy at work wearing x squared (before x squared he had pennies). So x metal isn't that unusual around me...
I go to Colorado a lot and have noticed quite a few around there and here in MN.

I saw a guy wearing Jordan Romeo 1 at the Outlet in NY 2 months ago this year and that's it! and I saw a guy wearing different variety of x metals recently when I looked on the mirror of my car. :D

Latest Posts

Back