• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals or New Pseudo X-Metals? Where would you spend your money?

XMetalAddict

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Cambridge, UK
This question is buzzing in my mind and my last post kind of swayed me to stay as purist.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the new designs, it is the materials that makes me hesitate.

In an ideal world I would buy them all, but back in the real world I have to make sacrifices!:(

Your thoughts?

I'm with you! I love my xmetals, they are like little metal sculptures and each one is unique in its own way to me. I am concerned about the durability of the new generation. Honestly, I'll likely pick up a madman when the price goes down, and I mean way down. If that never happens I'll just pick up another Julie instead :)

It all depends. If I did not have my x metals already i probably would rather look for them. But since I have what I have i will get 1 of each of the new ones. I wanted at least one of each of the original x metals. Have about 20 of the originals

Last edited:
I purchased mine just prior to the official release and while the Badman has its advantages neither come close to any of my X-Metals. I understand that folks will want to compare these, but I am past that phase and writing my final report. I've modded, swapped parts, custom cut lenses - I have given them every chance to be cool and worthy and they and still they reek of mediocrity! Of the 3 I currently own (2 Badman, 1 Madman) - I may keep one, but at least two and possibly all three of these will be going back to Oakley very soon.

Well I guess if one would rather buy an econo car instead of a supercar....only for the same price, then buy some Badman's or Madman's. Otherwise.... all X-Metals all the way. Even if the new models were $200ish, I'd still put that money towards another X-Metal

That´s what I think, same price than the old (and real) X- Metals, but just Alloy and not Titanium.
I´m working with many materials and I can say there is a big difference between these two.
I won´t buy one of the new ones, better wait for a good(!!) old one.

I don't have enough X-metals to justify the Badman, which I still sort of want.

Next up, probably shooting for an XX. Then maybe a Romeo 1. I could probably be content with 4-5. Then some matching minute machines. :eek:

Im definitely on the original ship. Iv got plenty of time pickup one of those "man" shades but the originals are definitely getting less and less. Is it just me or is every newbie grabbing 4 or 5 Xmetals right when they join this forum and gain access to the exchange section?

Thank you all for your replies so far. I have to say that you have a similar view of things as me. Just shows how right Jim Jannard got things when he was in charge. You can't improve on perfection!

I take the point, made in other posts, that Luxotica is in the business of making money. However, there is such a thing as a loss leader in industry. I do not feel that they would even have to loose money, just a bit of margin to keep the Oakley legend going. Given the prices that people are willing to pay for old X-metals I don't even think they would loose too much.

I admit that probably the days of the X-metal, that gave the original sunglasses their name, are over. However, it is not beyond the realms of possibility with the talent at Oakley to come up with a full metal/metal alloy alternative. I just can't get over the fact that there is essentially a piece of plastic in the new ones holding the orbitals together. The speculation is that this is to do with flexing. Well, this was achieved without resorting to plastic before, why now?

Sorry for the rant! :mad-35::)

Buy X-Metals now and buy "New Pseudo X-Metals" later, when they are considerably cheaper - like half price or less! (supply is already exceeding demand, prices on "New Pseudo X-Metals" are already beginning to drop)

Back