• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metals' riveted loose bridges

rzurzel

I should Work at Oakley
Poland
Dear X metal experts here it goes:
I've planned to get a piggy bank to finally one day get a pair of mars craters. I'll start to fill it as soon as I get out of unemployment that is. Anyway since I haven't seen any other metals in person than R1s I'd like to get some info to move bad thoughts out of back of my head.
All I see on O forum is that juliets need a tune up from time to time. My question is do mars also need those tune ups since from what I see people don't grumble on them that much. I'm curious if juliets are more prone to the wiggling effect or people just don't wear mars that often and that is why they seem to be free of the wiggling effect? Next question is how often should I expect to make the tune ups if using youe frame daily? I've got quite a slim head, no watermellon or anything. Aside of julies and mars I also love pennys and I assume that because of the spring hiinges (which I believe are something similar to madman's but I can be mistaken) they should be the least prone of the three mentioned frames?
Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.
First guys on top of my head that could help me out @kronin323 @Migs the Scientist @VolcanOG I know you guys rock all those frames.

Last edited:
Juliets are just more common than other frames so they are worn more often thus requiring frequent tune ups. If you use the right temple shocks and put them on and take them off like goggles (over your head) you reduce the stress on the flex coupler. Not to many people wear the Mars because they are so bold so that's why you don't wear of them getting a tune up. From what I noticed they run a little smaller than standard X metals.

Juliets are just more common than other frames so they are worn more often thus requiring frequent tune ups. If you use the right temple shocks and put them on and take them off like goggles (over your head) you reduce the stress on the flex coupler. Not to many people wear the Mars because they are so bold so that's why you don't wear of them getting a tune up. From what I noticed they run a little smaller than standard X metals.
Yeah, thought that mars aren't a daily pair for most of guys. I'm curious about the tune ups frequency since if I had to make it wice a year or something then wearing those glasses would be equally exensive to maintenance my ducati lol

Also the orbital tabs on the Mars are much bigger and squarer than on later Juliet's, thus reducing movement on the rubber inserts

My Juliets are worn daily and they last 5+ years before needing a tune. X-man's tune might last quite a while longer...

Also the orbital tabs on the Mars are much bigger and squarer than on later Juliet's, thus reducing movement on the rubber inserts
So going to mars is the right direction :) Good to know that there's always that Illinois guy who can help out with the tune up.

Penny are a very sturdy version of madman, as far as the hinges go!
They are very small, but since you do not have a melon head, you should
be fine!
Once you get a tune up(esp. xman tuneup), if possible, they'll last a loooooong time since most of
the flexing is taken care by those spring hinges

My Mars fit very tight. If they are on too long they almost hurt. As others have said, Juliet is just more common and more frequently worn. That would be my guess as to why you see more needing tune ups. I love the way it looks though. Can't really compare it to anything else. I would recommend it.

Back