• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Squared Frame Size/Shape Variation

ducatiti

I should Work at Oakley
I just wanted to bring this is up as I have noticed one of my frames have a noticeably bigger orbital of which the bottom of the orbital has a rounder shape instead of the traditional flat bottom. Are there variations from manufactured dates or frames that are for export only? Xmetal frame below is from Japan, Plasma is from the U.S. So just a heads up, you may have to send your frames in to have lenses cut particularly for the slightly bigger x squared frames.

7f0e448c-2933-45e4-98f8-d662020b6f08_zpszsj4xpmn.jpg
7535d22a-3245-4522-84c3-6d1487d63b61_zpscav5zknn.jpg

And with the slightly bigger frame, installing standard x squared lenses would look like this..

68454A2B-67E8-4311-A667-61AB888CDA09_zpsc2xwh5pp.jpg

7FAF39E9-594A-49EA-BD51-044A821D542F_zpskjkpqic6.jpg

Anyone else have noticed similar variations in frames?

I have not seen that before, not a known variation AFAIK, maybe just a factory defect. As unlikely a defect would be based on assembly and QA, that would be a lot of misses for a complete/boxed piece. Is there a SKU on the frame? Maybe it is a warranty piece that got rushed out the door.

I have not seen that before, not a known variation AFAIK, maybe just a factory defect. As unlikely a defect would be based on assembly and QA, that would be a lot of misses for a complete/boxed piece. Is there a SKU on the frame? Maybe it is a warranty piece that got rushed out the door.

This is a new warranty piece. Defect? Not sure how they are manufactured but aren't they supposed to be formed from one mold?

Warranty makes the 'defect' possibility much more likely IMO, the piece may have never been fully fit/tested. These pieces were indeed cast from a mold, but with a lot of handling and milling, which is one of the main reasons they stopped manufacturing them - too much time and too many hands involved without the profit [of plastic]. That human interaction included some initial banging while still somewhat malleable followed by multiple stages of millwork that could have contributed to the piece as you see it today.

I've seen other orbitals and some arm stems a bit off. This is more present in later warranty pieces as Oakley seemed to have gotten a bit sloppy. I've let go of some warranty frames that were more than a few mm off, way out of spec...

I find it hard to believe someone did not take this back to Oakley for replacement a long time ago. :rolleyes

Warranty makes the 'defect' possibility much more likely IMO, the piece may have never been fully fit/tested. These pieces were indeed cast from a mold, but with a lot of handling and milling, which is one of the main reasons they stopped manufacturing them - too much time and too many hands involved without the profit [of plastic]. That human interaction included some initial banging while still somewhat malleable followed by multiple stages of millwork that could have contributed to the piece as you see it today.

I've seen other orbitals and some arm stems a bit off. This is more present in later warranty pieces as Oakley seemed to have gotten a bit sloppy. I've let go of some warranty frames that were more than a few mm off, way out of spec...

I find it hard to believe someone did not take this back to Oakley for replacement a long time ago. :rolleyes

Thanks for the input. I browsed through the exchange forum for these so called "Warranty XS frames" and pretty much have the same odd shape orbitals. I'm thinking now that the later batches (warranty frames) were made a bit bigger to accommodate lenses better, or maybe not :)

To add, I also recently purchased Juliet Tio2 warranty frames with similar characteristics but not as prevalent as the X2's.

Again, one should think twice prior to purchasing these frames considering it should be sent in for lenses to be customized for them.

That being said, my frames were somehow lost in the mail but luckily it was insured and a claim is in the works.

This will not stop me from purchasing warranty frames knowing that this will be the closest to own a new frame without being overpriced.

But then you have to get custom lenses that will only ever fit those frames. I guess it's not a big deal if you aren't swapping lenses or planning to sell them, but I'd be mad at whoever sold them to me if I got ones like that without any warning